how to call webmethods in a batch

ranga

Does WebService support calling methods in a batch. I have the following
two scenarios:

case1 : say i need to call two webservice methods that do an insert and
update respectively on a database. How do i enclose the 2 calls in a
batch/transaction

case2: say the 2 methods that i want to call in a batch are "get" type of
methods - ie one returns a string and another returns a byte array. But i
want to protect my client agains the risk that one of the methods or both may
not return due to service outage?. How do i handle this situation ?. Do i
need to investigate the exception in each method ?

thanks
ranga

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

case1 : say i need to call two webservice methods that do an insert and
update respectively on a database. How do i enclose the 2 calls in a
batch/transaction

WS-AtomicTransaction is a spec that is intended to deal with transactions
that span web services.
It is still being drafted, and implementations are few and far between.

Without WS-AT, then you need to roll your own atomicity guarantees.
case2: say the 2 methods that i want to call in a batch are "get" type of
methods - ie one returns a string and another returns a byte array. But i
want to protect my client agains the risk that one of the methods or both
may
not return due to service outage?. How do i handle this situation ?. Do i
need to investigate the exception in each method ?

Yes. I don't see the alternative. What the services return is irrelevant.
If you have two distinct outbound calls, your app needs to check the
response to each of them.