How to capture browser closing event with Javascript

karthik juneni

Hi all,

Iam trying to capture windows closing event (i.e) when the user clicks
on the "X" button i want to capture that event and want to update some
values in the database.I tried two methods but iam getting problems
with the two methods.

First,one i tried with

function Unload()
{
if (window.event.clientX > 0 && window.event.clientY < 0)
{
//Browser closing

But this method is called even when the user ic hitting the back
button or refreshing the page.

Second thing i tried was

function Unload()
{
if (window.screenLeft > screen.width)
{
//Browser closing
}
else
{
//Browser refresh

This works fine for browser refresh but this method is not called when
the user closes the browser.

Does any one know how to do this.

Any urgent help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony Jones

karthik juneni said:
[...]

My advice is, forget it. Design the requirement out of the system. Anything
that happens outside the client area of a browser belongs to the host system
and is best left out of bounds of a web application.

Any solution will be a kludge and apt to be broken by a later update to the
browser.