How to capture the output of a call to Kernel.system

Wes Gamble

I suspect that this is an extremely simple question to answer.

How do you capture the output of a system call?

For example, if I do this:
Thu Jun 18 13:00:00 CDT 2009
=> true=> true

I would like to capture the output of the date command. How do I do it?

Thanks,
Wes

Michael Guterl

I suspect that this is an extremely simple question to answer.

How do you capture the output of a system call?

For example, if I do this:

Thu Jun 18 13:00:00 CDT 2009
=3D> true
=3D> true

I would like to capture the output of the date command. =C2=A0How do I do= it?

x =3D `date`

if you need to capture more than just stdout, i recommend the systemu gem.

best,
michael guterl