How to capture the output of system("")?

Yingqi Tang

All,

When I can system("...") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
when the cmd is being executed?

Thanks

Sebastian Hungerecker

Yingqi said:
When I can system("...") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
when the cmd is being executed?

By using backticks or %x{} instead of system.

james.d.masters

By using backticks or %x{} instead of system.

Another option besides backticks or %x{} is to use IO#popen. This is
useful if you want to read output in the same manner as you would with
a file.