How to change default gems repository on Debian

Peter Hoang

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade an old gem installation (0.9.5) on Debian machine.
On Debian, the default gem repository is /var/lib/gems/1.8. However, if
I install gem from source, the default location of the repository would
be /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/. I can export GEM_HOME variable to change the
location however, this will not work for crontab scripts which bypass
bash_profile and /etc/profile. There are many crontab scripts setup by
our users and it's quite hard to force everyone to change their scripts.
Therefore, I need to make sure that the default gem repository is
/var/lib/gems/1.8. How do I force gem installation to do this instead of
using /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8?

Thanks.

David Masover

I can export GEM_HOME variable to change the
location however, this will not work for crontab scripts which bypass
.bash_profile and /etc/profile.

It might be worth trying .bashrc -- .bash_profile is specifically for
interactive logins -- but that won't work if they're using /bin/sh.

Another possibility is /etc/environment, though I remember that not working...

Worst case, there's always setting the environment variable directly
in /etc/crontab.

There's also tricks like symlinks, bind-mounts, etc.

I'm sure Rubygems can be installed wherever you like -- but you really should
solve the problem of being able to set global environment variables.