How to change LabelText in DataList

Mirek Endys

Hi all,

I thought, that this is an usual thing, but Im wrong.

I have a DataList control and there is a Label control. I need to change the
Text propertz of the Label control. How to do it.
Here is my function I want to use, but it is not working. I can Find Label
in DataListItem, but the change is not dispalyed.

public void ConnectionCheck(DataListItem dlItem, string connection)
{
Label lblSourceConnectionStringStatus =
(Label)dlItem.FindControl("lblSourceConnectionStringStatus");

if(!Check(connection))
{
lblSourceConnectionStringStatus.Text = "Connection Error";
lblSourceConnectionStringStatus.ForeColor =
System.Drawing.Color.Red;
}
else
{
lblSourceConnectionStringStatus.Text = "Connection OK";
lblSourceConnectionStringStatus.ForeColor =
System.Drawing.Color.Green;

protected void dlDTDefinitions_ItemCommand(object source,
DataListCommandEventArgs e)
{
CheckConnections(e.Item);
}

What shoud I to do to display new value of the text properties?

Thanks
Mirek

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mirek,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the changing Lable Text in DataList items problem, I think
this is not possible due to the DataList(also any other template databound
control's databinding model...). The DataList's item content are generated
from DataSource during databinding. After that, the data is stored in
viewstate and can not be modifed directly. Also, we can not modify any
nested sub control's properties in normal postback event. If we need to
update the item's value in DataList, we have to change the underlying
datasource and rebind the DataList control with the updated DataSource....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security