How to Change Membership provider during runtime

Guest

Hi All,

Can I use more than one membership provider for a given website? I
understand only one of them could be default one. If yes, then how to
programmatically access the other membership provider? For e.g. lets say I
have a SQLMembership provider and OracleMembership provider. SQL would be my
default provider. During authentication, based on the value of an additional
parameter in the login screen, I need to validate against SQL or Oracle db.
Is this feasible?

I found this on MSDN

“You can also configure multiple membership providers, which allows you to
select a membership provider at run time based on application requirements.
For example, for business reasons your membership information might be in
separate regional databases. By configuring multiple membership providers
that each interact with a different regional database, you can direct
membership calls to the appropriate provider for different users.â€

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sx3h274z.aspx

Any idea on how to switch Membership provider during runtime?

Thanks for tip,
-Balaji NJL

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Balaji,

You need to make sure all the membership providers are listed in the
web.config file, like this:

<membership defaultProvider="Mydefaultprovider">
<providers >
<clear/>
<add connectionStringName="ASPNETDBConnectionString1"
name="MyOracleprovider"
type="System.Web.Security.OracleMembershipProvider"/>
<add connectionStringName="ASPNETDBConnectionString2"
name="Mydefaultprovider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"/>
</providers>
</membership>

Then in your code, reference the one you want to use:

Dim mbr As MembershipProvider
mbr = Membership.Providers.Item("MyOracleprovider")
' mbr.CreateUser(....
Response.Write(mbr.GetType)

Let us know if this helps?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Guest

That helps, Thanks a lot.

Balaji said:
[...]

Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Can I set DefaultProvider during Runtime

Hello

I know this post is a little old but hopefully someone knows the answer to this.

I realize that you can access other membership providers by using Membership.Providers.Item("providername") but what I would like to do is change the default provider during runtime.

Let me try to explain how I'm going to be using it. I am setting up a hosted solution so users will be getting to our login page using a different URL for each client, a user will use the URL for the client they are with. Some clients will be using AD for authentication and others will be using our own custom internal authentication. I check the url that they are using and then am able to find which membershipprovider I should use for validating that user. What I would like to do is every time I need to do something with the user (change password, validate, etc), instead of having to check the url and hit the database to find out what membership provider I need I would like to set the DefaultProvider on session load or application load or something like that so my developers can simply do Membership.ChangePassword without my having to worry about what MembershipProvider to use.

I've tried to search on setting the default provider in global.asax or anywhere else without any success.

Thanks,
Jeff

Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Oops, Ignore my question above. I realize now why you can't change the default provider otherwise it would mess up in a multi-threading situation.

Thanks.