How to change my applet into a double-clickable JAR file?

Randyl

Re: How to change my applet into a double-clickable JAR file?

Greetings:

Recently I developed a Java program that initially was projected to be
available on a web site as an applet. Very late in the development
process, however, it was discovered that Java applets are not allowed
to either read from or write to the user's disk drive. This discovery
prompts a change in strategy. Some time ago I downloaded a Java
application that was contained in a JAR file and when double-clicked
it presented a dialog box and ran the application whenever the
appropriate button was selected. It is this type of application that I
would like to change my program to but I am not quite sure what to do
and is the reason I am asking for your help.

If anyone has a sample program, or can point to such a sample program
on the web somewhere, that demonstrates a full-fledged Java
application packaged as a JAR file, preferably with one or more
ResourceBundle files, since my program is localized, I would be very
grateful.

Best regards,
Randyl Kent Plampin

Andrew Thompson

Randyl said:
Re: How to change my applet into a double-clickable JAR file?

I've got a better idea. Launch the applet using Java
Web Start. JWS can..
Recently I developed a Java program that initially was projected to be
available on a web site as an applet.

1) Launch applets.
..Very late in the development
process, however, it was discovered that Java applets are not allowed
to either read from or write to the user's disk drive.

They are, if signed (and the 'grace of the Gods'
favours them at that moment). But..

2) Allow access to the local disks, via the FileContents class.
<http://www.physci.org/jws/#fs>

If anyone has a sample program, or can point to such a sample program
on the web somewhere, that demonstrates a full-fledged Java
application packaged as a JAR file, preferably with one or more
ResourceBundle files, since my program is localized, I would be very
grateful.

3) Makes localisation easy. (I don't have an example of that, yet)