How to change page's title dynamically

Guogang

Hi, is there a way to change the page's title in code behind (C#)?

I want to change this part:
<HEAD>
<TITLE> Can be changed dynamically. </TITLE>
</HEAD>

Thanks,
Guogang

Laidbak

Hi, is there a way to change the page's title in code behind (C#)?

Make the text of the title a label.
In your code behind set the label's text.

Guogang

Well, it works. Never thought I can do this. :)

Only thing I want to change is that I need to use "Literal" instead of
"Label", otherwise, the title will have <span> around it.

Laidbak said:
Hi, is there a way to change the page's title in code behind (C#)?

Make the text of the title a label.
In your code behind set the label's text.

Showjumper

Give your title tag an id and runat attribute. then declare it in code
behind And then you can retrive data from a dataset and set the inner text
property equal to the text or whatever.

<title id="PageTitle" runat="server"></title>

Protected WithEvents PageTitle As HtmlGenericControl

PageTitle.InnerText = ds.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("ArticleTitle").ToString

gerry

this works , but VS has the annoying habit of removing the runat="server"
from <TITLE> tags when it feels the urge.

Michael Earls

Gerry,

The problem with what you are trying to do is that ASP.NET treats everything
from the first character of the output (usually "<!DOCTYP..." for VS.NET
created WebForms) to the first control as a LiteralControl. this means that
the title is within this LiteralControl as literal text to be spit out
(without further processing) at Render-time. This is very efficient, but
puts the title out of reach for the base implementation of
System.Web.UI.Page.

The only sure-fire way to completely control this is by creating a class
that derives from System.Web.UI.Page and then adding private variable and an
accessor for a property named "Title".

Then, override the Render method. In that method, you'll need to find the
<title> control in the text of that first literal control and change what's
between <title> adn </title> to your internal title variable.

You can view the code (and description) here:

http://www.cerkit.com/cerkitBlog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=54fe3c55-91ca-4318-856d-c1e62963db9b

gerry

Thanks for the info michael, I will incorporate this in my base page.

However, imho, this is still a bug in VS in that it is 'randomly' removing
things from my html.
The runat="server" method works just fine until VS removes it - I haven't
pinned down exactly when it is removed.

Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Very Simple

Copy And Paste it to page_load

var page = (Page)HttpContext.Current.Handler;
page.Title = "someTitle";

:lol: