How to change the cursor pointer from arrow to hand?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Venkat, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Venkat

    Venkat Guest

    Hi,

    I wrote this piece of html code
    to display the text "Your Name" in my browser and also when u
    take ur cursor to the text("Your Name") it shows a tooltip just below
    the text saying "His Name is Venkat".

    Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible to change
    the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor to the text.

    Regards
    Venkat

    Pre Defined Tags

    Pre Defined T
    Venkat, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Venkat

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Venkat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible to change
    > the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor to the text.

    cursor: pointer;

    But then the user will think it is a link, so you should rethink why you
    want to do that.

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Venkat

    Venkat Guest

    Yes thats a good point that user may get confused.
    My requirement is there should be some indication(changing
    the cursor from pointer to any other symbol) to
    user when he takes the mouse to the text so that it can
    have his attention that their is some explanation about
    that text provided as a tooltip.

    Can we change the cursor from pointer to some other
    X.gif image(when he moves his cursor to text)
    assuming that i have got X.gif file located at "C:\images\X.gif".

    Regards
    Venkat

    Venkat, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Venkat

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Venkat wrote:
    > My requirement is there should be some indication(changing
    > the cursor from pointer to any other symbol) to
    > user when he takes the mouse to the text so that it can
    > have his attention that their is some explanation about
    > that text provided as a tooltip.
    >
    > Can we change the cursor from pointer to some other
    > X.gif image(when he moves his cursor to text)
    > assuming that i have got X.gif file located at "C:\images\X.gif".

    You can change it to a custom cursor file
    cursor : url("mything.cur");

    but I'm pretty sure a gif file won't work. I don't know offhand of a
    program that will allow you to create your own cursors, but I'm sure someone
    here can help. brucie?

    BTW: How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    Mark Parnell, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Venkat

    Kris Guest

    In article <1057211343.535217@sj-nntpcache-5>,
    "Venkat" <> wrote:

    > > > Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible to change
    > > > the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor to the text.

    > > cursor: pointer;
    > >
    > > But then the user will think it is a link, so you should rethink why you
    > > want to do that.

    > Yes thats a good point that user may get confused.
    > My requirement is there should be some indication(changing
    > the cursor from pointer to any other symbol) to
    > user when he takes the mouse to the text so that it can
    > have his attention that their is some explanation about
    > that text provided as a tooltip.

    How about
    cursor: help;

    --
    Kris, erlands (nl)
    Kris, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Venkat

    Danin Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:57:34 +1000, "Mark Parnell"
    <> wrote...
    | I don't know offhand of a program that will allow you to
    | create your own cursors

    Whether it will show depends on the browser. You could expand that for
    compatibility to:

    cursor: url("mycursor.cur"), url("mycursor.gif"), auto;

    Icon editors such as Iconforge will do the .cur files, though -
    www.cursorarts.com

    - return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.
    Danin, Jul 3, 2003
  7. Sorry I'm so late by replying, i've just started html,css and all this new
    shit.

    That cursor:pointer is that true css? My css editor complains about it.

    Jacques Koorts, Apr 2, 2004
  8. Venkat

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Venkat

    Rob McAninch Guest

    Jacques Koorts <news:>:

    > "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in
    > message news:3f03b79f$0$...
    >> Venkat wrote:
    >>
    >> > Usually the mouse pointer will be a arrow, is it possible
    >> > to change the pointer to show "hand" when i take my cursor
    >> > to the text.

    >> cursor: pointer;
    >>
    >> But then the user will think it is a link, so you should
    >> rethink why you want to do that.

    I agree you are messing with a 'standard' part of the user
    interface.

    > That cursor:pointer is that true css? My css editor complains
    > about it.

    Since your new to CSS you might want to Read The Fine Manual:)

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ui.html

    Perhaps your editor doesn't know CSS2, since CSS1 didn't include
    this property.

    Also, this http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ will probably be
    more reliable to evaluate your CSS in the future.

    --
    Rob - http://rock13.com/
    Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/
    Rob McAninch, Apr 2, 2004