how to change the URL that a Web app is published to in VS .Net

Bennett Haselton

When you create a C# Web Application project, you have to specify at
project creation time the URL you want to publish the project to. Is
there any way in the IDE to change the server that the project is
published to at build time?

You can go into Project properties -> Common Properties -> Web
Settings and under "Web Server Information" it shows the name of the
Web server -- but it's greyed out so that you can't edit it. Is that
intentional for some reason?

I tried to see if there was some local file that I could edit to
change the server that the project is Web-published to, but the
hostname seemed to be stored in several different files, including
binary files, that it didn't seem to be as simple as changing a single
line in a configuration file.

What I'd like to be able to do is make some changes to a project and
deploy it to an incremental server, and do a quick test pass on that
server to make sure everything is working correctly, before deploying
to a live site. Is there no elegant way to do that in Visual Studio
..Net?

-Bennett

John Saunders

Bennett Haselton said:
[...]

You can use Project->Copy Project to copy the project files to different
servers. There is no way in the IDE to change the URL.

Scott Allen

You'll have to open the project from a new URL, say by copying or
deploying the entire site to a new server.