How to check for microsoft shortcut codes

Phil Green

Hi,

I have been creating a CD-based site which works exactly how I want in IE5.
I decided that I should test it in Mozilla Firefox and Opera.
Unfortunately, a lot of the scrips don't work as expected. I'm pretty sure
that most of the problems are due to using IE specific shortcut codes. My
problem is I'm not sure how to identify which are IE specific codes and
which are not. Is there a debugger program that can identify where I have
used these shorcut codes and offer me the correct generic code? Can Venkman
of JSLint do this?

Thanks,

Phil.

kaeli

phil.d.green said:
Hi,

I have been creating a CD-based site which works exactly how I want in IE5.
I decided that I should test it in Mozilla Firefox and Opera.
Unfortunately, a lot of the scrips don't work as expected. I'm pretty sure
that most of the problems are due to using IE specific shortcut codes. My
problem is I'm not sure how to identify which are IE specific codes and
which are not. Is there a debugger program that can identify where I have
used these shorcut codes and offer me the correct generic code? Can Venkman
of JSLint do this?

Well, you can see what the errors are in Venkman, but it won't give you the
correct syntax.
Got a URL with test script? Or post some snippets here. Don't post the whole
thing please. :)

Most common error I see is using only document.all (IE only).
Other error I see is relying on quirks mode for rendering. But I don't think
that would muck up script.

You can look up valid syntax for Gecko (netscape, mozilla, firefox) here.
Tends to work in all DOM browsers.
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_shortTOC.html

Phil Green

I managed to self diagnose one problem - I had an image map with a name tag,
which IE accepted as ID. When I changed the code to
document.getElementById("MapName") it still wouldn't work in Mozilla, then i
worked out that the image map neaded an ID tag as well.

Venkman helped to identify this line in my code as the culprit, It also
helped me to identify where I had put round brackets instead of square
brackets. I'll see if I can solve the rest of the problems now.

Phil.