How to check for the officer version installed with javascript

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Vincent, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    Dear all,

    I would like to know how to check for the MS Access version that is
    installed on someones computer via a webpage. I thought vbscript
    would work, but because I cannot figure out how to run vbscript on the
    clients machine I cannot work. Basically it could have a button or an
    even or somekind then when this event executes the test says you have
    this verison os MS Acess installed you computer: 97, 200, 2002, or
    2003.

    You can do this my looking into the registry or any other method you
    like.

    email me if you want to vbscript code.

    Thanks a bunch,

    Vince
    Vincent, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Vincent

    Robert Guest

    \

    > You can do this my looking into the registry or any other method you
    > like.

    > Vince

    Try a google search on parasite.js. It invokes some ActiveX control
    to look into the registry.

    Here is a link to the parasite.js file. It seems to be written in
    some host language to be downloaded to the client.

    http://www.doxdesk.com/file/software/js/parasite.js

    See the following writeup for a discription.

    http://www.doxdesk.com/software/js/parasite.html

    I would not enable IE to run ActiveX controls. You are asking for
    trouble in my opinion.

    There seems to be a debate in the following thread whether letting
    parasite.js run on your machine opens you up to a bunch os spyware.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=5a8ed030e4edce9c&rnum=2

    Title: script to read the Registry in Win32?

    Robert
    Robert, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Vincent

    Vince West Guest

    Are there any tools that I can use to just convert my vbscript to
    javascript. I have heard of javafy that is part of the IIS Resource Kit
    from Microsoft. But for some reason I cannot find a downloadable
    version of the program.
    Please advise

    and again thank you

    Vince West, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Vince West wrote:

    > Are there any tools that I can use to just convert my vbscript to
    > javascript. I have heard of javafy that is part of the IIS Resource Kit
    > from Microsoft. But for some reason I cannot find a downloadable
    > version of the program.
    > Please advise

    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/iis4/reskit/iis40rg/iisrkapa.mspx>

    HTH

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Vincent

    Vince West Guest

    Is there anywhere where I can just download the tool, which I think is
    named Javafy. I see the Resource Kit, but honestly I dont need all of
    that?

    Many thanks

    Vince West, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Vince West wrote:

    > Is there anywhere where I can just download the tool,

    Probably there are unauthorized illegal resources on the Net.

    > which I think is named Javafy. I see the Resource Kit, but honestly I
    > dont need all of that?

    Why should especially M$ give away a tool for free if they can
    make money with it?

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 8, 2004