How to clarify algorithm of hardware(HDL)?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Davy, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Davy

    Davy Guest

    Hi all,

    I am a new hardware algorithm engineer(deal with communication
    algorithm and HDL implementation).
    And I used to draw hardware diagram and timing chart to represent a
    algorithm of hardware.
    But I found it is a hard job to clarify algorithm of hardware by above
    technique.

    But I read a book by Ciletti "Advanced Digital Design with the Verilog
    HDL". The book deal it
    with algorithmic state machine-datapath (ASMD) chart. Is it useful?

    Or can you give me some reference?

    Any suggestions will be appreciated!
    Best regards,
    Davy

    Davy, Apr 16, 2006

  2. Davy wrote:

    > I used to draw hardware diagram and timing chart to represent a
    > algorithm of hardware.
    > But I found it is a hard job to clarify algorithm of hardware by above
    > technique.

    I agree. I use a simulation testbench review.

    > But I read a book by Ciletti "Advanced Digital Design with the Verilog
    > HDL". The book deal it
    > with algorithmic state machine-datapath (ASMD) chart. Is it useful?

    Not for design verification.
    A manual chart could only cover a textbook example.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Apr 16, 2006

  3. Davy

    Keith Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:56:35 -0700, Davy wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a new hardware algorithm engineer(deal with communication
    > algorithm and HDL implementation).
    > And I used to draw hardware diagram and timing chart to represent a
    > algorithm of hardware.
    > But I found it is a hard job to clarify algorithm of hardware by above
    > technique.

    I draw state diagrams if they're not too complicated. A state
    transition table works for more complicated designs (though my VHDL reads
    pretty much like a transition table).

    > But I read a book by Ciletti "Advanced Digital Design with the Verilog
    > HDL". The book deal it
    > with algorithmic state machine-datapath (ASMD) chart. Is it useful?

    Haven't read the book.

    --
    Keith

    Keith, Apr 16, 2006