    functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?

    Thanks in advance.
    , Oct 18, 2006

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > I have a file upload control in a form. In all browsers, the file input
    > box is displayed. So if users make an error, the can simply clear the
    > field. In safari, the input box is not displayed, How can I provide a
    > functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?

    So... there is no input box as displayed in Safari eh? And you
    want the user, who cannot even see it, to be able to clear it?
    Clear it of things he cannot put in it (because it is not there).

    I like this. Where is Luigi?

    What else can be said, something needs saying for sure?

    What about:

    Can you cut the hair of the bald King of France?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 18, 2006

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a file upload control in a form. In all browsers, the file input
    > > box is displayed. So if users make an error, the can simply clear the
    > > field. In safari, the input box is not displayed, How can I provide a
    > > functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?
    > >

    > So... there is no input box as displayed in Safari eh? And you
    > want the user, who cannot even see it, to be able to clear it?
    > Clear it of things he cannot put in it (because it is not there).
    >
    > I like this. Where is Luigi?
    >
    > What else can be said, something needs saying for sure?
    >
    > What about:
    >
    > Can you cut the hair of the bald King of France?
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Dorayme

    Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides that
    they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to "clear" the
    control. At best user can "replace" the selected file with another but
    not clear it.

    You know what I mean?
    , Oct 18, 2006
  4. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a file upload control in a form. In all browsers, the file input
    > > > box is displayed. So if users make an error, the can simply clear the
    > > > field. In safari, the input box is not displayed, How can I provide a
    > > > functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?
    > > >

    > > So... there is no input box as displayed in Safari eh? And you
    > > want the user, who cannot even see it, to be able to clear it?
    > > Clear it of things he cannot put in it (because it is not there).
    > >
    > > I like this. Where is Luigi?

    > Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides that
    > they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to "clear" the
    > control. At best user can "replace" the selected file with another but
    > not clear it.
    >
    > You know what I mean?

    Perhaps best to post a URL on Q like this.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 18, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides
    > that they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to
    > "clear" the control. At best user can "replace" the selected file
    > with another but not clear it.

    Have you tried a reset button next to your submit button? That should
    certainly clear your form field.

    However, it is normally recommended never to actually *use* a reset
    button. I think you would find that most web surfers are smart enough to
    know how to overtype or clear an input field.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 18, 2006
  6. wrote:

    > Dorayme

    That's _dorayme_

    > Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides that
    > they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to "clear" the
    > control. At best user can "replace" the selected file with another but
    > not clear it.

    <input type="reset" value="Clear Me!">

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 18, 2006
  7. dorayme Guest

    In article <f000a$4535a2a4$40cba7be$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Dorayme

    > That's _dorayme_

    Thank you, J. It is so draining having to reminding folk of this.
    They mean well, in fact the "D" is a mark of respect and I am
    therefore, naturally, a little reluctant to correct them -
    however little I deserve it.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 18, 2006

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <f000a$4535a2a4$40cba7be$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Dorayme

    > > That's _dorayme_

    > Thank you, J. It is so draining having to reminding folk of this.
    > They mean well, in fact the "D" is a mark of respect and I am
    > therefore, naturally, a little reluctant to correct them -
    > however little I deserve it.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    dorayme, Jon

    Thanks for the input.
    , Oct 18, 2006

    wrote:
    > I have a file upload control in a form. In all browsers, the file input
    > box is displayed. So if users make an error, the can simply clear the
    > field. In safari, the input box is not displayed, How can I provide a
    > functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    JUst in case I wasnt clear, the images below are taken from the screen
    dump of MS IE and Safar.

    <http://202.172.239.193/images/safari.gif

    http://202.172.239.193/images/ms.gif
    , Oct 18, 2006