    is still open. How can I close it so I can delete it?
    N.B. File.deleteOnExit() works fine.

    Tnx, phil...

    Phil..., Oct 9, 2003

  2. "Phil..." <> wrote in message news:D03hb.717481$uu5.118293@sccrnsc04...
    I have a directory that has lots of jpg and gif files.
    I want to delete all of the small ones, those with
    height or width less than 100 px.
    I use close to the following code to get the height and width.

    File dir = new File(".");
    String files[] = dir.list();
    ImageIcon myimage = new ImageIcon(files);
    int height = myimage.getIconHeight();
    int width = myimage.getIconWidth();

    At this point, File.delete() returns false
    most of the time. My guess is that the file
    is still open. How can I close it so I can delete it?
    N.B. File.deleteOnExit() works fine.

    When you load an image that way, a separate Thread is started to load the file.
    Your result varies because sometimes the file is still being loaded.
    Look at the JavaDocs for ImageIcon - the getImageLoadStatus in particular.
    You can't reliably look at the height and width before the image is loaded.

    Bill

    William Brogden, Oct 9, 2003