    download the entire folder?

    Also, how to code html link, so that user can open this folder directory?

    Thank you.
    Amy, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Amy

    Richard Guest

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:33:13 -0800 Amy wrote:

    > Can you please tell me how to code html link, so that user can click and
    > download the entire folder?
    >
    > Also, how to code html link, so that user can open this folder directory?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Pack the contents into a zip file.
    Makes transferring of content quicker.
    Richard, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Amy

    Dave Patton Guest

    "Amy" <> wrote in

    > Can you please tell me how to code html link, so that user can click and
    > download the entire folder?

    HTML is a markup language - it tells the browser how the
    webpage is 'marked up'. It's not something you "code"
    in the sense of a programming language.

    If some HTML contains an anchor tag then most browsers
    will, when a user 'clicks' on a link(presented due to
    the presence of the anchor tag), send a request for the
    anchor tag's href attribute URI to a webserver.

    Once that's done, it's the job of the webserver to respond.
    There are a variety of ways to, at that point, "download
    the entire folder", but they all require configuration
    and/or programming on the webserver.

    For example, you might be using Apache and PHP, and have
    the URI be http://www.example.com/download_dir/ and have
    an index.php script in /download_dir which puts all the
    files except itself that exist in /download_dir into
    a ZIP file and then sends that to the browser, which will,
    depending on the user's preferences, either open the
    ZIP file or save it to their harddisk.

    > Also, how to code html link, so that user can open this folder directory?

    For example, you might be using Apache, and have
    the URI be http://www.example.com/download_dir/
    and not have any index document in /download_dir
    (e.g. no index.php, index.html, etc.), and have
    Apache configured to present a directory listing.
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Mar 6, 2005
  4. Amy

    Amy Guest

    OK.

    I set up this link:
    it did not download the zip files?
    How do I set up the html code at the link?

    Amy, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Amy

    Amy Guest

    You mean something like this?

    My folder has no index file of any kind.
    Just a bunch zip and pdf files.

    Amy, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Amy

    Amy Guest

    Actually, it would be nice and simple, if I can just let users to open my
    folder and download selected items inside the folder. How do I do that?

    Amy, Mar 6, 2005