    Every help is appreciated.

    Thanks

    , Mar 31, 2006

  2. Em Qui, 2006-03-30 às 15:21 -0800, escreveu:
    > Like in C we comment like
    > /*
    > Bunch of lines of code
    > */
    >
    > Should we use docstring """ """
    >
    > Or there is something else too ??

    You should use a decent editor that could automatically
    comment/uncomment code upon your request.

    HTH,

    --
    Felipe.

    Felipe Almeida Lessa, Mar 31, 2006

  3. Tim Chase Guest

    >>Or there is something else too ??
    >
    > You should use a decent editor that could automatically
    > comment/uncomment code upon your request.

    In Vim, you can map a key to do the following:

    :s/^/#

    to comment the highlighted lines, and

    :s/^#

    to uncomment them. To map them, you can use

    :vnoremap <f4> :s/^/#<cr>
    :vnoremap <f5> :s/#<cr>

    (those are literal "less-than, ["eff, [4 | 5]" | "see,
    are"], greater-than" characters)

    Then, pressing <f4> in visual mode will comment the selected
    lines, and pressing <f5> will uncomment any selected lines
    that are commented.

    The nice thing about vim's method of doing this, is that you
    can combine it with grepping. If you want to comment out
    every line containing a regexp, you can do

    :g/regexp/s/^/#

    Or, if you want to comment out from "regexp_1" to the
    following line containing "regexp_2", you can use

    :g/regexp_1/.,/regexp2/s/^/#

    All sorts of handy tricks.

    There are python plugins that I'm sure offer such abilities
    built-in. There are likely ways to do this in other editors
    too. I just happen to be a vim sorta guy.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Mar 31, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > Like in C we comment like
    > /*
    > Bunch of lines of code
    > */
    >
    > Should we use docstring """ """
    >
    > Or there is something else too ??
    >
    > Every help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    Maybe this sounds simplier than regexp and so, just use the """ marker like
    this :

    """
    this
    would be
    commented
    during
    execution
    """

    Laurent Rahuel, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Eric Deveaud Guest

    wrote:
    > Like in C we comment like
    > /*
    > Bunch of lines of code
    > */
    >
    > Should we use docstring """ """

    I would say NO.
    docstring are displayed by pydoc, thus a pydoc on your code will display some
    inconsistent information ;-)

    > Or there is something else too ??

    some moderns editors allow you to comment/uncomment a selected Bunch
    of lines of code

    Eric
    --
    > afin de parfaire mon apprentissage de linux,je cherche sur lille et sa
    > périphérie une nana tout linux

    JPH in Guide du linuxien pervers : "Connaître le système"

    Eric Deveaud, Mar 31, 2006

    Eric Deveaud wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Like in C we comment like
    > > /*
    > > Bunch of lines of code
    > > */
    > >
    > > Should we use docstring """ """

    > I would say NO.
    > docstring are displayed by pydoc, thus a pydoc on your code will display some
    > inconsistent information ;-)

    docstrings are a bit of a magical construct. Not all strings in a
    function are docstrings.

    >>> def foo():

    .... "real docstring"
    .... """
    .... x=1
    .... """
    .... print x
    >>> help(foo)

    Help on function foo in module __main__:

    foo()
    real docstring

    , Mar 31, 2006
  7. Eric Deveaud Guest

    wrote:

    > Eric Deveaud wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > Like in C we comment like
    > > > /*
    > > > Bunch of lines of code
    > > > */
    > > >
    > > > Should we use docstring """ """

    > > I would say NO. docstring are displayed by pydoc, thus a pydoc on your
    > > code will display some inconsistent information ;-)
    > >

    > docstrings are a bit of a magical construct. Not all strings in a
    > function are docstrings.

    yep fogotten that triple quotted strings are considered as docstring
    only if they are the first lines of the module/fonction/class/method
    excluding the comments lines.

    my bad

    Eric

    --
    SYBEX ORIGINAL SOFTWARE
    NOUVEAU KIT LINUX REDHAT 5.2 POUR WIN 95/98

    Eric Deveaud, Mar 31, 2006
  8. Eric Deveaud wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Eric Deveaud wrote:

    >>> I would say NO. docstring are displayed by pydoc, thus a pydoc on your
    >>> code will display some inconsistent information ;-)
    >>>

    >> docstrings are a bit of a magical construct. Not all strings in a
    >> function are docstrings.
    >>

    > yep fogotten that triple quotted strings are considered as docstring
    > only if they are the first lines of the module/fonction/class/method
    > excluding the comments lines.

    The official rule is that if *any* string is the first line of a
    function/etc, it is considered a docstring. It's just standard
    convention to use the triple quotes for docstrings. As you mentioned,
    you can use triple quotes for any string; likewise, you can use standard
    quotes ( ' or " ) for docstrings as well.

    - Mike

    Michael Hobbs, Mar 31, 2006
  9. I often use

    if 0:
    bunch of lines of code

    That way, it's very easy to reenable the code, or to add an else, etc.
    I can even put things like 'if 0 and USE_FOO_FEATURE' to document what
    is being commented out. It's much more flexible than commenting out.

    --
    Want to play tabletop RPGs over the internet?
    Check out Koboldsoft RPZen: http://www.koboldsoft.com

    Dave Mandelin, Mar 31, 2006
  10. gene tani Guest

    gene tani, Mar 31, 2006
  11. Eric Deveaud <> wrote:
    >some moderns editors allow you to comment/uncomment a selected Bunch
    >of lines of code

    Out of curiousity, is there a modern editor which *doesn't* allow you
    to comment/uncomment a selected bunch of lines of code?

    --
    \S -- -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
    ___ | "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"

    Sion Arrowsmith, Apr 3, 2006
  12. Kent Johnson Guest

    Sion Arrowsmith wrote:
    > Eric Deveaud <> wrote:
    >> some moderns editors allow you to comment/uncomment a selected Bunch
    >> of lines of code

    > Out of curiousity, is there a modern editor which *doesn't* allow you
    > to comment/uncomment a selected bunch of lines of code?

    TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.

    Kent

    Kent Johnson, Apr 3, 2006
  13. Rick Zantow Guest

    Kent Johnson <> wrote in news:44310867$1_1
    @newspeer2.tds.net:

    > Sion Arrowsmith wrote:
    >> Eric Deveaud <> wrote:
    >>> some moderns editors allow you to comment/uncomment a selected Bunch
    >>> of lines of code

    >> Out of curiousity, is there a modern editor which *doesn't* allow you
    >> to comment/uncomment a selected bunch of lines of code?
    >>

    > TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.

    I use TextPad all the time, and while it is true that the feature is not
    built in, it's misleading to say it doesn't have it. It is implemented by
    means of a macro definition. I assign a key to a 'comment' macro (basically
    replacing regex ^ with '# ' for the selected text) to do this. And of
    course I have a reciprocal 'uncomment' macro as well.

    --
    rzed

    Rick Zantow, Apr 3, 2006
  14. Kent Johnson wrote:
    > Sion Arrowsmith wrote:
    > > Eric Deveaud <> wrote:
    > >> some moderns editors allow you to comment/uncomment a selected Bunch
    > >> of lines of code

    > > Out of curiousity, is there a modern editor which *doesn't* allow you
    > > to comment/uncomment a selected bunch of lines of code?
    > >

    > TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.
    >
    > Kent

    I also use TextPad - 4.7.3. I have never thought to comment a block of
    code, but this thread prompted me to see if it is possible. As far as I
    can see, you can do it like this -

    Menu > Configure > Block Select Mode - Ctrl+Q,B

    Select a block, one column wide, using mouse or keyboard.

    Menu > Edit > Fill Block (brings up dialog box)
    Fill character: #
    Format: Left align
    Fill mode: Replace
    OK

    Done.

    To uncomment, as above but set Fill character to a space.

    It feels a bit fiddly, but I reckon if you use it a few times it will
    become quite smooth.

    Frank Millman

    Frank Millman, Apr 3, 2006
  15. Kent Johnson Guest

    Rick Zantow wrote:
    > Kent Johnson <> wrote in news:44310867$1_1
    > @newspeer2.tds.net:
    >
    >> Sion Arrowsmith wrote:
    >>> Out of curiousity, is there a modern editor which *doesn't* allow you
    >>> to comment/uncomment a selected bunch of lines of code?
    >>>

    >> TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.
    >>

    > I use TextPad all the time, and while it is true that the feature is not
    > built in, it's misleading to say it doesn't have it. It is implemented by
    > means of a macro definition. I assign a key to a 'comment' macro (basically
    > replacing regex ^ with '# ' for the selected text) to do this. And of
    > course I have a reciprocal 'uncomment' macro as well.

    Thank you! I don't suppose you have any tricks to make it work with
    UTF-8 data outside the cp1252 character set, do you?

    Kent

    Kent Johnson, Apr 3, 2006
  16. Rick Zantow Guest

    Kent Johnson <> wrote in

    > Rick Zantow wrote:
    >> Kent Johnson <> wrote in news:44310867$1_1
    >> @newspeer2.tds.net:

    >>> TextPad is my editor of choice but it doesn't have this feature.
    >>>

    >> I use TextPad all the time, and while it is true that the feature is
    >> not built in, it's misleading to say it doesn't have it. It is
    >> implemented by means of a macro definition. I assign a key to a
    >> 'comment' macro (basically replacing regex ^ with '# ' for the
    >> selected text) to do this. And of course I have a reciprocal
    >> 'uncomment' macro as well.

    > Thank you! I don't suppose you have any tricks to make it work with
    > UTF-8 data outside the cp1252 character set, do you?

    Sadly, I don't. TP claims Unicode support, but I'm not sure what they
    mean; it does seem to be restricted to cp1252.

    --
    rzed

    Rick Zantow, Apr 4, 2006
  17. Kent Johnson Guest

    Rick Zantow wrote:
    >> Thank you! I don't suppose you have any tricks to make it work with
    >> UTF-8 data outside the cp1252 character set, do you?
    >>

    > Sadly, I don't. TP claims Unicode support, but I'm not sure what they
    > mean; it does seem to be restricted to cp1252.

    TP will correctly read and write UTF-8 files if they use only the
    characters available in cp1252. So there is a little Unicode support but
    it breaks down pretty quickly with, e.g. Chinese or even Polish.

    Kent

    Kent Johnson, Apr 4, 2006

    > You should use a decent editor that could automatically
    > comment/uncomment code upon your request.

    The Zeus for Windows IDE has just such a feature:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/python.html

    To do this in Zeus you basically mark the lines of text
    that need commenting then use the Macros, Add Comment
    Block menu to comment the lines selected.

    Then to remove the comments you use the Macros, Remove
    Comment Block menu.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows

    , Apr 5, 2006
  19. What's wrong with using three sets of double-quotes? I do it with kwrite
    and it works like a charm.

    Michael Sperlle, Apr 5, 2006
  20. In <>, Michael Sperlle wrote:

    > What's wrong with using three sets of double-quotes?

    One can't comment out code that contains multiline strings. Especially
    nested comment out does not work.

    > I do it with kwrite and it works like a charm.

    Why not Ctrl+D (comment) and Ctrl+Shift+D (uncomment)?

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Apr 5, 2006