How to compare Ant and Maven?

Earth

Hi all,

I have noted that Apache provides a build tool, namely Maven.

I have been using ANT for more than year. Just wonder how to compare
Maven and Ant from a developer point of view?

What is your comments?

Thanks in advance for any inputs or ideas.

Eclifeww

Bryce

Hi all,

I have noted that Apache provides a build tool, namely Maven.

I have been using ANT for more than year. Just wonder how to compare
Maven and Ant from a developer point of view?

Maven is built on top of Ant.

Maven helps manage dependencies among projects. In Maven, all you do
is define your project in a file called project.xml, and Maven does
most of the rest.

Build your projects, jar them, deploy them, even build a project
website for you.

Earth

Hi Bryce and all,

This sounds exactly what Ant does.

Using Ant, I could build, jar and deploy project, run script to
restart server etc, with various tasks.

Thus, I am confused by Maven, it appears that Maven does exactly what
Ant does. Or Maven does the same job as Ant, but in a better way?

Would you plz provide an example to illustrate?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and inputs.

Earth