how to compile code codebehind files without visual studio

sarojanand

Hi,

I have created a project (abc) in my wwwroot folder on my system. From
visual studio, i am able to run and view this page. Now I have deployed
on wwwroot folder and for this I have edited some code(in .vb pages)
according to the new path.

Since these pages are no longer part of the project file in visual
studio, how do I recompile my page so that it reflect the changes? Can
I compile/recompile and recreate the dll without visual studio? If yes,
how. please suggest.

Thanks,
Sarojanand Jha

Patrice

Using vbc the command line compiler...

That said it looks like you have not a good reason to do so. I'm using this
to compile the web site into multiple DLLs.

In your case it looks rather that you hardcoded something that would be
better dynamically found by the application so that using another location
doesn't require to change this. You may want to detail the original problem
so that someone can suggest perhaps a better solution than recompiling the
application...

Patrice

vMike

Hi,

I have created a project (abc) in my wwwroot folder on my system. From
visual studio, i am able to run and view this page. Now I have deployed
on wwwroot folder and for this I have edited some code(in .vb pages)
according to the new path.

Since these pages are no longer part of the project file in visual
studio, how do I recompile my page so that it reflect the changes? Can
I compile/recompile and recreate the dll without visual studio? If yes,
how. please suggest.

Thanks,
Sarojanand Jha
you can use vbc with line commands at the dos prompt or you can create a
text file with something like this all on one line.

/t:library /out:c:\physical-path-to-your-bin\name-of-file.dll
c:\physical-path-to-your-vb-file\name-of-file.vb /r:system.dll
/r:system.web.dll /r:system.xml.dll /r:system.data.dll /debug

and then use vbc @textfilename at a dos prompt. vbc is located in a sub
directory of the Microsoft.NET directory under windows.

I recommend the second method as it will save you a lot of time. Note that
you need the names of all the dll files that contain your imported
namespaces (sometimes this can be a bit tricky, ilasm.exe is helpful) and
the /debug will produce symbols so you can debug the code.