how to compile python to have gtk and Tkinter modules in Linux environment.

cfpete

Hello,
How do I go about to have python compiled from source so that I can
import gtk and Tkinter modules. Those don't seem to be included when
I use the default ./configure or python setup.py.

Thanks in advance,
-Peter

Zentrader

import gtk and Tkinter modules. Those don't seem to be included when
I use the default ./configure or python setup.py.

Tkinter is supposed to be included by default, although that depends
on who's Python you are using and ./configure. You have to install
PyGTK separately, at least on Linux. Both have to be somewhere in
your PYTHONPATH so Python can find them. Also, Tkinter depends on TCL/
Tk. All of this sounds more intimidating than it really is. If you
are on Linux, Python should be in /usr/lib and you can check for
Tkinter in ?usr/lib/python/lib-tk. What os are you using and was
Python included or did you install it yourself? If so, where did you
download Python and was it a binary or source?