How to compile VC++ projects without VS IDE?

youpak2000

Hi,

I'm working on a VC++ project developed using Visual Studio 2003 and
2005. I
want to compile the solutions from command like without installing VS
IDE.
I downloaded a free Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 from Microsoft website. It
has command line compiler cl.exe, but it can not open Solution files.
VS uses Devenv.exe and devenve.com to open Solutions, but they are not
included in the free toolkit.

Is there any free tool which can open and compile VS 'Solution' and
'Project' files?
Is there any tool to convert VS Solution and Project files to standard
makefiles?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

John

Victor Bazarov

[..]
Is there any free tool which can open and compile VS 'Solution' and
'Project' files? [..]

You're in a wrong newsgroup. Try 'microsoft.public.vc.langauge' or
'microsoft.public.vc.ide_general'.

Alan Johnson

Hi,

I'm working on a VC++ project developed using Visual Studio 2003 and
2005. I
want to compile the solutions from command like without installing VS
IDE.
I downloaded a free Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 from Microsoft website. It
has command line compiler cl.exe, but it can not open Solution files.
VS uses Devenv.exe and devenve.com to open Solutions, but they are not
included in the free toolkit.

Is there any free tool which can open and compile VS 'Solution' and
'Project' files?
Is there any tool to convert VS Solution and Project files to standard
makefiles?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

John

Off topic for comp.lang.c++, setting follow-ups to comp.programming.

I suggest reading the first chapter of the Win32 tutorial Alf P.
Steinbach is currently writing:
<url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32apitut/01.pdf>

It explains how to use Microsoft's compiler from the command line.

John Carson

Hi,

I'm working on a VC++ project developed using Visual Studio 2003 and
2005. I
want to compile the solutions from command like without installing VS
IDE.
I downloaded a free Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 from Microsoft website. It
has command line compiler cl.exe, but it can not open Solution files.
VS uses Devenv.exe and devenve.com to open Solutions, but they are not
included in the free toolkit.

Is there any free tool which can open and compile VS 'Solution' and
'Project' files?
Is there any tool to convert VS Solution and Project files to standard
makefiles?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

John

I don't know if you want to use a command line on principal or just because
it is free. If the latter, then you can download VC++ 2005 Express for free.
It has an IDE that will open any solution files.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx