How to compress a big file into many zip files with Archive::Zip?

Bo Yang

Sisyphus

Bo Yang said:

I want to email a big file to in my application.
But the email system will only delivery attachment
with no more than 20M big. So I need compress the
big file into many little zip files, and email
separately.

If it comes to the worst, you could arbitrarily split the large file into
(sufficiently) small files, zip them up, and send them off. Then, at the
other end, it's just a matter of unzipping the received files and
concatenating them (in the correct order).

Stay tuned, however, as there may be a smarter way of doing it.

I've actually got a personal interest in this - in that I want to upload a
5.6M file using my ISP's FTP server. But they don't seem to accept anything
bigger than 5M (although they allow me 10M storage). I've thought about
doing exactly as I've advised you, but the additional problem is that, at
their end, they don't give me access to any tool that will do the
concatenation (afaict) .... unless it can be done using "pretty home page"
:)

Cheers,
Rob

anno4000

Bo Yang said:

I want to email a big file to in my application.
But the email system will only delivery attachment
with no more than 20M big. So I need compress the
big file into many little zip files, and email
separately.

No. Email isn't a file transfer program. Use a file transfer
program to send your file in one piece.
And I have read the Archive::Zip document, and didn't
find any stuff about that.

That's because Archive::Zip is about compressing files, not
splitting them.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated !

Use the right tool for the job.

Anno

Martijn Lievaart

I want to email a big file to in my application.
But the email system will only delivery attachment
with no more than 20M big. So I need compress the
big file into many little zip files, and email
separately.
And I have read the Archive::Zip document, and didn't
find any stuff about that.

Correct, that module does not handle multi archive zipfiles. As an
alternative just split the file into smaller files, send those and
concatenate them on the receivers end.

Or send an URL where the other end can get the file using http or ftp.

M4

Martijn Lievaart

That's because Archive::Zip is about compressing files, not
splitting them.

However, zip has options for multivolume archives, Archive::Zip just
doesn't support it. So the expectation is not unreasonable.

M4

anno4000

Martijn Lievaart said:
However, zip has options for multivolume archives, Archive::Zip just
doesn't support it. So the expectation is not unreasonable.

Multivolume archives are meant to handle the case when a an archive
doesn't fit on a single volume (of tape, usually). It may be possible
to press the mechanism into service for splitting a single file into
smaller chunks, but that isn't what it's there for.

Unix (and presumably Cygwin) has the split command to do this.
Splitting is still not the right way to transfer a file that is
too big for mail.

Anno

Martijn Lievaart

Multivolume archives are meant to handle the case when a an archive
doesn't fit on a single volume (of tape, usually). It may be possible
to press the mechanism into service for splitting a single file into
smaller chunks, but that isn't what it's there for.

I know several other use cases where splitting makes sense.
Unix (and presumably Cygwin) has the split command to do this.
Splitting is still not the right way to transfer a file that is
too big for mail.

Amen.

However, I worked in several environments where you had to make do with
what whas there. SMTP is not suited to transfer large files and as I
stated somewhere else in this thread, other mechanisms are better, easier
and may be triggered on an email. But if all you have is a hammer....

M4

Bo Yang

Bo Yang

anno4000

Bo Yang said:

(e-mail address removed)-berlin.de :
But we have no ftp server, so we must transfer it through
our mail server.

Then get ftp (or rsync, or scp, or rcp, or ...). If you regularly
need to transfer big files you need a tool for that.

Anno