How to concatenate 2 fields

jrheltmach

Hi All, have a question I hope someone can help me out with. I have a
file from our financial application here at work that creates
invoices. In it, it pulls data from our SQL Server 2000 database and
using XML, creates text file invoices. Question I have is this. One
of our fields is an ID field called Timekeeper. It's a unique 4 digit
number assigned to every person. What I want to do is create a new
field that will take a -0- and add it to the Timekeeper field.
Example: 01710. How can I concatenate 2 fields in XML where one is a
hardcoded value and one is a database field??

Thanks!
jim

Joseph Kesselman

How can I concatenate 2 fields in XML where one is a
hardcoded value and one is a database field??

Using what tools? XML is just a data syntax. You're talking about a
programming task, which means you need to pick a programming language
(Java, C, XSLT stylesheets, XQuery or whatever query language you're
already using to retrieve the information and render it as XML ...)

jrheltmach

Using what tools? XML is just a data syntax. You're talking about a
programming task, which means you need to pick a programming language
(Java, C, XSLT stylesheets, XQuery or whatever query language you're
already using to retrieve the information and render it as XML ...)

I guess I'd be using XSLT stylesheets....Sorry about my ignorance with
this, I just thought I could open the file up in text pad and start
keying away....Anyway, below is where I believe it's pulling the
Timekeeper field from my datasource....

</xsl:choose>
<xsl:text>|</xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="tk_id"/> <!-- TIMEKEEPER_ID -->
<xsl:text>|</xsl:text>

Joseph Kesselman

keying away....Anyway, below is where I believe it's pulling the
Timekeeper field from my datasource....

<xsl:text>|</xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="tk_id"/> <!-- TIMEKEEPER_ID -->

OK, so all you hhave to do is modify that to include the additional
data. Since you said you just want to prefix the value with a literal
zero character, the easiest solution is to add it to the literal text
you're already outputting at that point:

<xsl:text>|0</xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="tk_id"/>

or, if you wanted to add a trailing zero instead,

<xsl:value-of select="tk_id"/>
<xsl:text>0|</xsl:text>

Obviously more sophisticated things can be done -- combining data from
multiple places in the source document, parameterizing the literal
value, etc. See a good XSLT tutorial for much, much more detail.
(Standard pointers to a lot of good info: http://www.ibm.com/xml for
articles and tutorials, and The XSL FAQ website for many example
solutions from trivial to extremely obscure.)