    tool that has worked for several years.

    Under IIS7 doc files and jpeg files upload as before, but zip files give a
    500 error. This works the same with the firewall on and off.

    Kal, Sep 16, 2008

  2. "Kal" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently installed Windows 2008 Server to replace a crashed hard drive on
    >a web server with a variety of web pages including several classic ASP
    >applications. One of these makes extensive use of file uploads using a com
    >tool that has worked for several years.
    >
    > Under IIS7 doc files and jpeg files upload as before, but zip files give a
    > 500 error. This works the same with the firewall on and off.

    And what does your event log tell you?

    Is this 64bit install? If so is the App Pool 64 bit or 32 bit?
    Do you have third party ISAPI filters? If so are you using integrated or
    classic pipeline?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Sep 16, 2008

  3. Kal

    David Wang Guest

    Re: How to configure IIS7 to allow zip file uploads using classicasp?

    On Sep 15, 11:58 pm, "Kal" <> wrote:
    > I recently installed Windows 2008 Server to replace a crashed hard drive on
    > a web server with a variety of web pages including several classic ASP
    > applications. One of these makes extensive use of file uploads using a com
    > tool that has worked for several years.
    >
    > Under IIS7 doc files and jpeg files upload as before, but zip files give a
    > 500 error. This works the same with the firewall on and off.

    This does not seem like an IIS issue because you say doc and jpg files
    upload as before -- if the COM tool handles the upload as HTTP entity
    body, IIS certainly does NOT care if the source bytes came from a doc,
    jpg (compressed graphics), or zip file.

    If you see change in behavior, it is usually due to some hacky
    behavior being employed by the COM tool or ASP app to make it work. It
    really doesn't matter if it worked before, if it worked by accident.
    One really has to look at the HTTP traffic involved on the request to
    make the judgement of correctness.

    You can turn on Failed Request Tracing to determine if it is any IIS
    module returning the 500 error. If the 500 error comes from processing
    the ASP page itself, then that's where I'd investigate. Perhaps you've
    misconfigured your web app to accept file uploads -- my ASP Upload
    Accepter doesn't use a COM tool and runs just fine on IIS7...

    Event Logs won't tell you anything. 32/64bit won't result in
    "different" behavior due to file content, and Failed Request Tracing
    will tell whether ISAPIs are involved at all.

    //David
    http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
    http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
    //

    David Wang, Sep 16, 2008
  4. "David Wang" <> wrote in message
    On Sep 15, 11:58 pm, "Kal" <> wrote:

    >Event Logs won't tell you anything.

    However, always check event logs, even when you sure they won't tell you
    anything unless you happen to be called Neo and see the entire world around
    you as a cascading set of green characters.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Sep 16, 2008
  5. What is the size of the Zip file ?

    Regards,

    Trevor Benedict
    MCSD

    Trevor Benedict, Sep 16, 2008
  6. Kal

    Kal Guest

    Size is the obvious first place to look as that setting had to be tweaked in
    IIS 6. Where would one set that in IIS 7?

    Kal, Sep 16, 2008
  7. Kal

    Kal Guest

    Hello,

    More information, this is very likely the file size problem. My users did
    not provide good information in that very small zips (65K) work but larger
    ones do not. I did not test for the cut-off, but 365K fails. And it is not
    only zip files after all. A 700K doc file failed also.

    So if I knew how to set the equivalent of what was
    AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed this would probably get resolved very quickly.

    Kal

    Kal, Sep 16, 2008
  8. "Kal" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > More information, this is very likely the file size problem. My users did
    > not provide good information in that very small zips (65K) work but larger
    > ones do not. I did not test for the cut-off, but 365K fails. And it is not
    > only zip files after all. A 700K doc file failed also.
    >
    > So if I knew how to set the equivalent of what was
    > AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed this would probably get resolved very quickly.

    In IIS7 IIS manager click in the web site and double click the ASP icon in
    the features view. Expand Limits Properties and modify the Maximum
    Requesting Entity Body Limit.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Sep 16, 2008
  9. Kal

    Kal Guest

    Anthony,
    That did the trick. And it was so easy. You have no idea how many things I
    tried that did not work.

    I think there may be a second part though. One of the things I had done was
    to change the setting in applicationhost.config from:
    <sectionGroup name="system.webServer">
    <section name="asp" overrideModeDefault="Deny" />
    <section name="asp" overrideModeDefault="Allow" />

    After I made your change and tested it, I changed the above to Deny just on
    general principals of not fixing what was not broken. The website
    immediately stopped working until I changed it back to Allow.

    Thanks for your help.

    Kal

    Kal, Sep 16, 2008
  10. Kal

    David Wang Guest

    Re: How to configure IIS7 to allow zip file uploads using classicasp?

    If you leave it as "Deny", then you can only change the setting inside
    applicationHost.config -- which is certainly possible using <location>
    tags, as the UI will illustrate.

    David Wang, Sep 17, 2008
  11. Kal

    David Wang Guest

    Re: How to configure IIS7 to allow zip file uploads using classicasp?

    On Sep 16, 6:11 am, "Anthony Jones" <>
    wrote:
    > "David Wang" <> wrote in message

    > On Sep 15, 11:58 pm, "Kal" <> wrote:
    >

    > >Event Logs won't tell you anything.

    > However, always check event logs, even when you sure they won't tell you
    > anything unless you happen to be called Neo and see the entire world around
    > you as a cascading set of green characters.
    >
    > --
    > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Ok, then call me Neo. :)

    In all seriousness, this is the rationale -- given that the user issue
    is per-request (i.e. happens only on certain requests but not others),
    if the issue is an IIS configuration, it CANNOT show up in the Event
    Log. Why? Because that would then become a security vulnerability --
    spamming the event log.

    For IIS7, the fastest way to prove (or disprove) configuration is to
    use Failed Request Tracing. Tracing tells you EVERYTHING that happened
    on the request within IIS. One does not even need to ask the user for
    configuration details -- the execution flow visible in Tracing gives
    all necessary details. Given how flexible IIS7 can be configured,
    Tracing is really the only consistent way to troubleshoot request-
    bound IIS issues.

    Of course, Tracing is effective when the failure is request-bound
    within IIS. If the problem is elsewhere, yes, I agree that looging at
    Event Log and HTTPErr log would be useful steps, along with network
    sniffer for the traffic, as I've always advocated for troubleshooting.

    David Wang, Sep 17, 2008