how to connect 2 labels in gridview to two different sqldatasources?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Luc, Sep 22, 2009.

  1. Luc

    Luc Guest

    Hi,

    the gridview is connected to sqldatasource1.
    is it possible to connect one label into that gridview to one field in
    sqldatasource1 and another label in the same gridview to another
    sqldatasource2?
    I did this, but i don't know how to link label 'fromtable2' to 'fieldtb2' in
    sqldatasource2.
    I couldn't find propety "datasourceID" for label (or textbox). Dropdownlist
    has that property.

    Thanks for help
    Luc

    ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:myconn %>"
    SelectCommand="SELECT fieldtb1 FROM [table1]
    ></asp:SqlDataSource>

    ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:myconn %>"
    SelectCommand="SELECT fieldtb2 FROM [table2] ></asp:SqlDataSource>
    </asp:SqlDataSource>

    DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" DataKeyNames="field1" >
    <Columns>
    <asp:TemplateField>
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id="fromtable1" runat="server" Text='<%#
    eval("fieldtb1") %>'></asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateField>

    <asp:TemplateField>
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id="fromtable2" runat="server" Text='<%#
    eval("fieldtb2") %>'></asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateField>
    </Columns>
    </gridview>

    Luc, Sep 22, 2009

  2. Luc

    bruce barker Guest

    you should do a sql join and have only one datasource.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 22, 2009

  3. Luc

    Luc Guest

    thanks for replying.

    But what if both tables haven't anything common?

    Luc, Sep 22, 2009
  4. "Luc" <dfgdf@sdfsd> wrote in news:u$:

    > thanks for replying.
    >
    > But what if both tables haven't anything common?

    They have to have something unless you are arbitrarily filling the textbox
    with random junk. there has to be some reason you are choosing the data you
    are choosing. That reason is how they are linked, physically or just
    logically. Then again, I have seen instances where it seemed like the
    controls were just filled with random junk, so I could be wrong.

    As for filling. If you cannot join tables, then use the row binding event
    handler to bind the "junk" in the textbox. ;-)

    Peace and Grace,

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    My vacation and childhood cancer awareness site:
    http://www.crazycancertour.com

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Sep 22, 2009