How to connect to Mainframe to download a file

Guest

Hi,
I need help here.

I am converting an vb application to c#. The existing application connects
to the mainframe server using FTP and downloads a file (dataset).
Is it possible in .NET to avoid FTP and use any providers to connect to the
mainframe server and download a file.

I would appreciate if someone can give a reference to a link or code.

Thanks,
dinoo

Mark Rae

I am converting an vb application to c#. The existing application connects
to the mainframe server using FTP and downloads a file (dataset).
Is it possible in .NET to avoid FTP and use any providers to connect to
the
mainframe server and download a file.

I would appreciate if someone can give a reference to a link or code.

Depending on what sort of mainframe it is, you *might* be able to use Host
Integration Server: http://www.microsoft.com/hiserver/default.mspx

You mention that the file you need is a dataset - does that imply that it's
being fetched from a mainframe database? If so, you may be able to query it
(almost) directly with ADO.NET and maybe some middleware.

If you supply a bit more information about the mainframe and or RDBMS,
you'll get a much better response.

However, I'd say that FTP will almost certainly be the simplest solution,
especially as FTP support is provided natively in v2 of the .NET Framework.

Is there any particular reason that you don't want to use FTP...?

Guest

It's not a database.
What I mean by dataset is, the mainframe file.
I wanted to avoid FTP is because I did not want to rely on other controls
out of the framework. I am using .NET framework 1.1.
The mainframe machine is - "IBM 2084-309"
Would it be possible to connect to this machine by avoiding FTP?

Thanks,
dinoo

Mark Rae

It's not a database.
What I mean by dataset is, the mainframe file.

Er. OK...
I wanted to avoid FTP is because I did not want to rely on other controls
out of the framework.

I can't understand that - there are some truly excellent 3rd-party FTP
controls out there.
I used this one for .NET v1.x: http://www.chilkatsoft.com/ChilkatFtp.asp
The price is right too... :)
I am using .NET framework 1.1.

You could always upgrade to v2 and take advantage of the native FTP
support...
The mainframe machine is - "IBM 2084-309"
Would it be possible to connect to this machine by avoiding FTP?

No idea - sorry...