How to convert a given local time to UT considering Daylight Saving Times....

Discussion in 'C++' started by Filip Lyncker, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Hi group ,

    I need a function to convert a given local time to the correct Universal
    Time ( UTC/GMT). The problem is the Daylight Saving Times(DST). Unix/Linux
    uses the Olson TZ database wich contains all the informations
    about DSTs... Are there any functions wich make this for me ? Such a
    function must use some location information like Longtitude to calculate the
    right UTC offset. After that it needs to look for the DST in a database.
    Anyone for an idea ? Maybe someone can point me to the right direction ...

    Thanks for help

    Filip

    _________________________________
    Filip Lyncker, Dipl.-Inform. (FH)

    Ingenieurbüro Lyncker & Theis GbR
    Rauenthaler Straße 8
    65197 Wiesbaden

    Fon 0611/89038960
    Fax 0611/9406125

    Filip Lyncker, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Filip Lyncker

    osmium Guest

    "Filip Lyncker" writes:

    > I need a function to convert a given local time to the correct Universal
    > Time ( UTC/GMT). The problem is the Daylight Saving Times(DST). Unix/Linux
    > uses the Olson TZ database wich contains all the informations
    > about DSTs... Are there any functions wich make this for me ? Such a
    > function must use some location information like Longtitude to calculate
    > the right UTC offset. After that it needs to look for the DST in a
    > database.
    > Anyone for an idea ? Maybe someone can point me to the right direction ...

    Local time is a political/governmental decision so you can't compute it from
    longitude.

    osmium, Apr 5, 2005

  3. > Local time is a political/governmental decision so you can't compute it
    > from
    > longitude.

    yes , thats the reason why im talking about a database like the olson
    database...

    Filip Lyncker, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Re: How to convert a given local time to UT considering Daylight SavingTimes....

    Filip Lyncker wrote:

    > > Local time is a political/governmental decision so you can't compute it
    > > from
    > > longitude.
    > >

    > yes , thats the reason why im talking about a database like the olson
    > database...

    OK. So what is wrong with using that 'Olson database'
    A quick google search brought up some sites which
    looked promising.

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger

    Karl Heinz Buchegger, Apr 5, 2005