How to convert a given local time to UT considering Daylight Saving Times....

Filip Lyncker

Hi group ,

I need a function to convert a given local time to the correct Universal
Time ( UTC/GMT). The problem is the Daylight Saving Times(DST). Unix/Linux
uses the Olson TZ database wich contains all the informations
about DSTs... Are there any functions wich make this for me ? Such a
function must use some location information like Longtitude to calculate the
right UTC offset. After that it needs to look for the DST in a database.
Anyone for an idea ? Maybe someone can point me to the right direction ...

Thanks for help

Filip

_________________________________
Filip Lyncker, Dipl.-Inform. (FH)

Ingenieurbüro Lyncker & Theis GbR
Rauenthaler Straße 8
65197 Wiesbaden

Fon 0611/89038960
Fax 0611/9406125

(e-mail address removed)

osmium

Filip Lyncker said:
I need a function to convert a given local time to the correct Universal
Time ( UTC/GMT). The problem is the Daylight Saving Times(DST). Unix/Linux
uses the Olson TZ database wich contains all the informations
about DSTs... Are there any functions wich make this for me ? Such a
function must use some location information like Longtitude to calculate
the right UTC offset. After that it needs to look for the DST in a
database.
Anyone for an idea ? Maybe someone can point me to the right direction ...

Local time is a political/governmental decision so you can't compute it from
longitude.

Filip Lyncker

Local time is a political/governmental decision so you can't compute it
from
longitude.

yes , thats the reason why im talking about a database like the olson
database...

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Filip said:
yes , thats the reason why im talking about a database like the olson
database...

OK. So what is wrong with using that 'Olson database'
A quick google search brought up some sites which
looked promising.