How to convert HTML entities to their applicable characters with a java script

Stefan Mueller

Because the characters ', ", ... make troubles in my input boxes I use the
following PHP command while generating the page
htmlentities($my_var, ENT_QUOTES);

However, if I use in my java scripts the string generated by htmlentities it
shows
', /", ...

Is there a java script command to change
' to '
/" to "
?

Sterfan

Stefan Mueller

Sorry that I didn't describe my problem more exact.

I read data (e.g. äöüÄÖÜçéàè"') from my MySQL database which I'd like to
show in an input box.

<?php
$mysql_data = "äöüÄÖÜçéàè\"'";
$html_data = addslashes(htmlentities($mysql_data, ENT_QUOTES));

echo "<script type = 'text/javascript'>";
echo "function set_old_data() {";
echo "my_form.input1.value = var_old_data;";
echo "}";
echo "var_old_data = '" . $html_data . "';";
echo "</script>";

echo "<body>";
echo "<form name = 'my_form' action = '' method = 'post' accept-charset
= 'iso-8859-1'>";
echo "<input type = 'text' name = 'input1' value = '" . $html_data .
"'>";
echo "<input type = 'button' value = 'Old Data' onClick =
'set_old_data()'>";
echo "</form>";
echo "</body>";
?>

The command
echo "<input type = 'text' name = 'input1' value = '" . $html_data . "'>";
shows my data äöüÄÖÜçéàè"' in the input box perfect.

But if I click on the button 'Old Data' the Java script function
'set_old_data' shows in the input box
&auml;&ouml;&uuml;&Auml;&Ouml;&Uuml;&ccedil;&eacute;&agrave;&egrave;&quot;'
instead of
äöüÄÖÜçéàè"'

Therefore I need a Java script function with translates
&auml;&ouml;&uuml;&Auml;&Ouml;&Uuml;&ccedil;&eacute;&agrave;&egrave;&quot;'
äöüÄÖÜçéàè"'

In PHP I could do that with the function
html_entity_decode()

But how can I do it with a Java script?
Stefan

PS: html_entity_decode() is the opposite of htmlentities() in that it
converts all HTML entities to their applicable characters from string.