how to correctly release a Reporting Services report (out of memory problem)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by J.Marsch, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. J.Marsch

    J.Marsch Guest

    All:

    I am having a problem with Microsoft Reporting Services. I am running a
    local report (RDLC) on ASP.Net. Running the report obviously can use a lot
    of memory because it must consume ADO.Net. My problem is that the report
    does not seem to be very good about releasing the memory.

    It appears that the report holds on to memory until the ASP.net session is
    torn down. So, if I run the report over and over, I will eventually get an
    Out Of Memory Exception. If I end the session, and then run the report, I
    can see that memory is being released.

    I used a memory profiler to determine what was rooting the memory:

    The ADO.Net datatable is held in memory by the local report. The local
    report appears to ultimately be held in memory because something in
    reporting services inserted it into the ASP.net cache. It appears that it
    is being released on session end.

    I have tried calling the dispose method on the report viewer, but that
    actually seems to make things worse (If I call that method directly, then
    the memory is not available for collection even after the session is torn
    down -- not surprising, I guess given that ht he help for the report
    viewer's dispose method indicates that it is intended to be called
    internally by the framework -- I just took a shot in the dark).

    What should I be doing to make sure that the report releases its memory
    gracefully after it has rendered?

    J.Marsch, Jun 27, 2007

  2. Hi J.Marsch,

    Regarding on this issue, I also found your another two threads in the other
    newsgroups. I have replied you in the following thread:

    Subject: how to correctly release a Reporting Services report (out of
    memory problem)
    Newsgroups:microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

    if you feel it convenient that we continue discuss in that thread, please
    feel free to post there.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead