    web browser ?

    plz. help
    , May 18, 2005

  2. Jack Klein Guest

    On 17 May 2005 19:03:14 -0700, wrote in
    comp.lang.c:

    > now i have problem i.e how 2 creat a web browser ?

    You can't make a web browser with standard C, since the language does
    not have any built-in networking support. So the question is
    off-topic here.

    > can any1 help me on this
    > which languge i need 2 know what other things i need 2 know to make a
    > web browser ?
    >
    > plz. help

    Programming languages require very precise input. If you can't use
    proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation in English, how can
    you possibly hope to write programs?

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, May 18, 2005

  3. Null_Ptr_72 Guest

    "Programming languages require very precise input. If you can't use
    proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation in English, how can
    you possibly hope to write programs?" ?????

    That was --while true-- a harsh gesture. As it is off-topic too! Last
    time I checked standard C it didn't include "written language critique"
    Null_Ptr_72, May 18, 2005
  4. Alan Balmer Guest

    On 17 May 2005 19:03:14 -0700, wrote:

    >now i have problem i.e how 2 creat a web browser ?
    >
    >can any1 help me on this
    >which languge i need 2 know what other things i need 2 know to make a
    >web browser ?
    >
    >plz. help

    The first language you need is English. Then you can find an
    appropriate newsgroup to post in. This is not it.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, May 18, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >now i have problem i.e how 2 creat a web browser ?
    >
    >can any1 help me on this
    >which languge i need 2 know what other things i need 2 know to make a
    >web browser ?

    You can download the source code for firefox and see how they did it:

    http://www.mozilla.org/download-mozilla.html

    You may find the complexity intimidating, but if you want to write
    anything more than a toylike browser, you'll need to come to grips with
    the reality of the situation. In fact, it might be just as rewarding to
    contribute to their project rather than trying to go it alone.

    Good luck, and just because you don't write perfectly standard English
    at all times doesn't mean you can't handle programming. I've met
    and worked with a few borderline dyslexic programmers who were top-notch.
    I was glad to fix their occasional spelling mistakes or poor word choice
    for them so that they could concentrate on developing cool software.
    Anonymous 7843, May 18, 2005
  6. Arafangion Guest

    Alan Balmer wrote:
    > On 17 May 2005 19:03:14 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >>now i have problem i.e how 2 creat a web browser ?
    >>
    >>can any1 help me on this
    >>which languge i need 2 know what other things i need 2 know to make a
    >>web browser ?
    >>
    >>plz. help

    > The first language you need is English. Then you can find an
    > appropriate newsgroup to post in. This is not it.

    To translate... What these people are saying is that generally, one
    needs to learn to crawl before they learn to walk.

    Writting a web browser is generally considered to be one of the hardest
    things to write, and I know of no project that was started from scratch
    in this decade.
    The newest project I know of that attempts just this is Dillo (And it
    happens to be extremely fast and written in C), however even they appear
    to use an existing, although very old and small renderer as a basis
    (From what I can see).
    Dillo has alot of problems, however, as the simple fact of the matter
    is that very few websites are correctly written, and the primary job of
    a modern web browser is to be able to render acceptably websites that
    may not be "correct". Slashdot is one particularly nasty website for
    Dillo, for instance.
    Arafangion, May 18, 2005
  7. Ronny Mandal Guest

    > Programming languages require very precise input. If you can't use
    > proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation in English, how can
    > you possibly hope to write programs?

    Apropos, I recently had a co-worker; a programmer, who was a dyslectic.
    Because of that, he had to double-check and sometimes triple-check his
    writings. When verifying the code, he more than occasionally discovered bugs
    and optimization-opportunities. His code never contained error related to
    variable-names.

    --

    Regards,

    Ronny Mandal
    Ronny Mandal, May 18, 2005
  8. Malcolm Guest

    <> wrote

    > now i have problem i.e how 2 creat a web browser ?
    >
    > can any1 help me on this
    > which languge i need 2 know what other things i need 2 know to make a
    > web browser ?

    Do you want to create a web browser from scratch, or do you want to call
    someone else's code so that you can incorporate a browser into your own
    application?

    Browsers are inherently graphical. Do you want to write the graphics
    routines from scratch, or do you want to call someone else's library?

    (You cannot do graphical output in ANSI C, and need a third party library
    for window maagement and the like, but this will be the least of your
    problems.)
    Malcolm, May 18, 2005
  9. CBFalconer Guest

    Arafangion wrote:
    > Alan Balmer wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> now i have problem i.e how 2 creat a web browser ?
    >>>
    >>> can any1 help me on this
    >>> which languge i need 2 know what other things i need 2 know to
    >>> make a web browser ?

    >> The first language you need is English. Then you can find an
    >> appropriate newsgroup to post in. This is not it.

    > To translate... What these people are saying is that generally,
    > one needs to learn to crawl before they learn to walk.
    >
    > Writting a web browser is generally considered to be one of the
    > hardest things to write, and I know of no project that was
    > started from scratch in this decade.

    ... snip ...

    Besides which a request using silly abbreviations, lower case i, 2
    in place of two, etc. is fundamentally offensive to the reader and
    demonstrates ignorance, rather than a language barrier. The
    conclusion may be wrong, but the subject is off-topic here anyhow.

    CBFalconer, May 18, 2005
  10. Alan Balmer Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 04:40:47 +1000, Arafangion
    <> wrote:

    >Alan Balmer wrote:
    >> On 17 May 2005 19:03:14 -0700, wrote:
    >>

    >>>now i have problem i.e how 2 creat a web browser ?
    >>>
    >>>can any1 help me on this
    >>>which languge i need 2 know what other things i need 2 know to make a
    >>>web browser ?
    >>>
    >>>plz. help

    >> The first language you need is English. Then you can find an
    >> appropriate newsgroup to post in. This is not it.
    >>

    >To translate... What these people are saying is that generally, one
    >needs to learn to crawl before they learn to walk.

    I'm not surprised that you think the OP needs a translator, but what I
    was saying was:

    1. Leet speak may be appropriate when discoursing with other children
    about favorite rock stars (translation:
    l3E7 $p33|< ma% |3E aPPr0PR|A+E \/\/HEN disKu55][Ng |=4V0|2|tE
    r0xxx0R 574|2$ W][tH 07]-[Er (H][1|)r3]\[

    but it's not appropriate when discussing technical matters with
    professionals, and sloppy language in general is a bad sign in a
    would-be programmer.

    2. How to create a web browser is not topical in this newsgroup.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
    Alan Balmer, May 18, 2005
  11. Flash Gordon Guest

    Ronny Mandal wrote:
    >>Programming languages require very precise input. If you can't use
    >>proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation in English, how can
    >>you possibly hope to write programs?

    > Apropos, I recently had a co-worker; a programmer, who was a dyslectic.
    > Because of that, he had to double-check and sometimes triple-check his
    > writings. When verifying the code, he more than occasionally discovered bugs
    > and optimization-opportunities. His code never contained error related to
    > variable-names.

    I'm also dyslexic, but I get computers to do most of my checking. One of
    my old sigs is...

    Mark Gordon
    Dyslexic Programmer.
    At least the compiler ensures I spell variable names consistently wrong.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.
    Flash Gordon, May 18, 2005
  12. Flash Gordon Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    <snip>

    > Browsers are inherently graphical.

    <OT>
    Strange that I have several time succeeded in using a text only web
    browser. I've even used text only web browsers on http://www.microsoft.com/
    </OT>

    > Do you want to write the graphics
    > routines from scratch, or do you want to call someone else's library?
    >
    > (You cannot do graphical output in ANSI C, and need a third party library
    > for window maagement and the like, but this will be the least of your
    > problems.)

    Yes, that is true.
    Flash Gordon, May 18, 2005
  13. SM Ryan Guest

    SM Ryan, May 19, 2005
  14. On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:12:27 +0200, Ronny Mandal
    <> wrote:

    >> Programming languages require very precise input. If you can't use
    >> proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation in English, how can
    >> you possibly hope to write programs?

    > Apropos, I recently had a co-worker; a programmer, who was a dyslectic.
    > Because of that, he had to double-check and sometimes triple-check his
    > writings. When verifying the code, he more than occasionally discovered bugs
    > and optimization-opportunities. His code never contained error related to
    > variable-names.

    That's similar to my superstition that if code compiles first time it's
    bound to have nasty bugs. It's based on the same thing -- if you are
    forced to look at the code many times -- whether by dyslexia, typing
    errors which need to be corrected, formal code reviews or whatever --
    then it's more likely that you'll find more subtle bugs when reviewing
    it.

    In the days when we wrote everything on coding sheets, which were given
    to girls to type onto punched cards, and the results came back several
    days later, we were /really/ careful to get it right the first time.
    When the programmer has an editor and just presses one button to compile
    it's really tempting to let the compiler find the mistakes (and of
    course it misses the important ones)...

    Chris C
    Chris Croughton, May 19, 2005
  15. CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Croughton wrote:

    .... snip ...
    > When the programmer has an editor and just presses one button to
    > compile it's really tempting to let the compiler find the mistakes
    > (and of course it misses the important ones)...

    No, I think it is important to acknowledge the temptation and
    usage, and develop the habit of writing code in such a manner that
    the compiler can find the problems. This means, to me, such things
    as "if (CONST == expression)", short single purpose functions,
    observing the rule of 7, careful formatting, and who knows what
    else. It also means lint early and often.

    I tend to compile after about two lines of revised code. Maybe
    less.

    CBFalconer, May 19, 2005
  16. In article <d6gcq9$rce$-infra.bt.com>,
    Malcolm <> wrote:

    >(You cannot do graphical output in ANSI C, and need a third party library
    >for window maagement and the like, but this will be the least of your
    >problems.)

    Here are the graphical results of my informal poll on the subject:

    55% ###########################
    31% ###############
    21% #############
    12% #####
    07% ###
    Anonymous 7843, May 19, 2005
  17. On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:51:02 GMT, CBFalconer
    <> wrote:

    > Chris Croughton wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >> When the programmer has an editor and just presses one button to
    >> compile it's really tempting to let the compiler find the mistakes
    >> (and of course it misses the important ones)...

    > No, I think it is important to acknowledge the temptation and
    > usage, and develop the habit of writing code in such a manner that
    > the compiler can find the problems. This means, to me, such things
    > as "if (CONST == expression)", short single purpose functions,
    > observing the rule of 7, careful formatting, and who knows what
    > else. It also means lint early and often.

    No, that won't do it. I'm talking about bugs in the algorithm (or in
    the translation of it into C), where the compiler can't catch them
    because what you write is syntactically valid, it just doesn't make
    sense for what you are trying to do.

    char *my_strcpy(char *dest, const char *source)
    {
    while (*source)
    *dest++ = *source;
    return dest;
    }

    Compile and lint might find typos, but only looking at it (or running it
    and finding that it fails, probably catastrophically) can find the
    actual error. If there were a typo in it which caused it to fail
    compilation then /at least/ it would mean that the programmer looked at
    it again and is thus more likely to spot the bug.

    > I tend to compile after about two lines of revised code. Maybe
    > less.

    Well, that's pretty useless when writing the code initially, the code is
    very unlikely to compile at all. Or if the code being revised is in s
    common header file so that it causes the whole project to be recompiled
    each time. Although that would be a nice job if that were company
    policy -- change two lines, recompile which takes half an hour, come
    back and chance another two lines, have another half hour break while it
    recompiles everything again...

    Chris C
    Chris Croughton, May 19, 2005
  18. CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Croughton wrote:
    > <> wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> I tend to compile after about two lines of revised code. Maybe
    >> less.

    > Well, that's pretty useless when writing the code initially, the
    > code is very unlikely to compile at all. Or if the code being
    > revised is in s common header file so that it causes the whole
    > project to be recompiled each time. Although that would be a
    > nice job if that were company policy -- change two lines,
    > recompile which takes half an hour, come back and chance another
    > two lines, have another half hour break while it recompiles
    > everything again...

    Yah, sure. I didn't say run. I didn't say link. Intervals for
    those may be a smidgeon longer. Besides, I don't believe in half
    hour compiles. Even on a 486, a half-minute is unusual.

    CBFalconer, May 20, 2005
  19. On Fri, 20 May 2005 01:35:45 GMT, CBFalconer
    <> wrote:

    > Chris Croughton wrote:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >>> I tend to compile after about two lines of revised code. Maybe
    >>> less.

    >> Well, that's pretty useless when writing the code initially, the
    >> code is very unlikely to compile at all. Or if the code being
    >> revised is in s common header file so that it causes the whole
    >> project to be recompiled each time. Although that would be a
    >> nice job if that were company policy -- change two lines,
    >> recompile which takes half an hour, come back and chance another
    >> two lines, have another half hour break while it recompiles
    >> everything again...

    > Yah, sure. I didn't say run. I didn't say link. Intervals for
    > those may be a smidgeon longer. Besides, I don't believe in half
    > hour compiles. Even on a 486, a half-minute is unusual.

    As I said, if it's a header file being changed you need to recompile
    everything which depends on it to make sure that nothing is broken by
    your change (compiling a header file on its own is unlikely to do
    anything useful).

    I don't believe that compiling after "two lines of revised code" will
    work much anyway, unless the 'revisions' are so trivial that they are
    easier checked by hand. Most 'revisions' will need a lot more lines to
    be changed to even make it compile, because the 'revised' code will be
    incompatible with the rest.

    Even half a minute every minute reduces the productivity by a third...

    Chris C
    Chris Croughton, May 20, 2005