How to create a batch file for Java Console Application?

Mozart

I have a Java console application.

It needs to be decompressed and then found
on the hard drive. One has to keep double clicking until
one finds the folder that says Resources. In this
folder there will be a program that says Contents.
In that folder, ones clicks on the JParaMindAndDictStd.bat
file and the program launches without any problem.

I am trying to write a batch file for Windows 7 users
so they can launch it easily (Windows 64 bit users especially).
I am also hoping this file will work in other versions of
Windows such as XP.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Various methods
have not worked.

Lew

I have a Java console application.

It needs to be decompressed and then found
on the hard drive. One has to keep double clicking until
one finds the folder that says Resources. In this
folder there will be a program that says Contents.
In that folder, ones clicks on the JParaMindAndDictStd.bat
file and the program launches without any problem.

I am trying to write a batch file for Windows 7 users
so they can launch it easily (Windows 64 bit users especially).
I am also hoping this file will work in other versions of
Windows such as XP.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Various methods
have not worked.

How to invoke a batch file is a Windows question, not a Java question.

The key is to provide the full path to the executable in your batch file.

If you continue to have difficulty, seek out a Windows forum.

Roedy Green

Does anyone have any advice on this? Various methods
have not worked.

Separate running and installing.

You might want to use an installer.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

buddy s

I have a Java console application.

It needs to be decompressed and then found
on the hard drive.  One has to keep double clicking until
one finds the folder that says Resources.  In this
folder there will be a program that says Contents.
In that folder, ones clicks on the JParaMindAndDictStd.bat
file and the program launches without any problem.

I am trying to write a batch file for Windows 7 users
so they can launch it easily (Windows 64 bit users especially).
I am also hoping this file will work in other versions of
Windows such as XP.

Does anyone have any advice on this?  Various methods
have not worked.

you need to first set your classpath in .bat file and then your need
to invoke your application using "java" command you can get more
information about classpath here http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-classpath-work-in-java.html

Roedy Green

Why do you consider setting the classpath variable preferable to using
the java -cp parameter?

if you change the global classpath you could screw up some other Java
app.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
Politicians complain that Kindles and iBooks are killing jobs by
destroying the paper book industry. I see it that they have create a way
to produce books for less than a third the cost without destroying forests
and emitting greenhouse gases in the process. They have created wealth.
They are encouraging literacy and cutting the costs of education.

Mozart

[...]
you need to first set your classpath in .bat file and then your need
to invoke your application using "java" command you can get more
information about classpath here
http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-classpath-work-in-java.....
Why do you consider setting the classpath variable preferable to using
the java -cp parameter?

Can't answer for "buddy s", but I think -cp is clearly superior.

But if someone really wanted to set the CLASSPATH environment variable
in a Windows .bat batch file, they can easily do so without affecting
other Java programs as long as the batch file itself runs only the one
Java program and either a) the batch file itself is run in a non-shared
environment (e.g. by double-clicking a link to the batch file itself,
which will create a new console window just for that batch file), or b)
including the "setlocal" statement at the beginning of the batch file,
so that any changes to the environment are not preserved once the batch
file ends.

Pete

Thanks for all the feedback.

OK, maybe I can get a little simpler advice. I do not have that much
experience in Java programming and I was more active in this project
on the
C++ end. I appreciate the technical discussion but it's on a level a
few levels more abstract than creating a practical solution. The
average user I find cannot be trusted to know much about anything and
so install routines need to be brainless. I have had a lot of
professional
experience with average end users and their needs. Most of them are
not technically
inclined.

Right not I have a Java console application
that needs to be decompressed from a zip file. I imagine
that they can see the folder at this point after they have
personally decompressed this file.
I can give them instructions like this:

"One has to keep double clicking on the folders you see until
one finds the folder that says Resources. In this
folder there will be a program that says Contents.
In that folder, ones clicks on the JParaMindAndDictStd.bat
file and the program launches without any problem."

Can someone think of a solution easy for me to program as an essential
Java newbie that will help a newcomer not have to navigate a lot
of hidden folders?

This is the current path structure of the batch file:

java -cp c:\ParaMind Windows64-1.1\JParaMind.app\Contents\Resources
\Java\JParaMindAndDict.jar JParaMind

How could I make the path more of a global variable that would work on
anyone's machine?

Roedy Green

On 4/23/2011 8:37 PM, buddy s wrote:
[...]
[...]

You best bet is to enclose everything in a Jar and leave the classpath
alone.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
How long did it take after the car was invented before owners understood
cars would not work unless you regularly changed the oil and the tires?
We have gone 33 years and still it is rare to uncover a user who
understands computers don't work without regular backups.

Joined
Jun 16, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
hi,
i created web application for upload and download zip files using struts.when i am trying to download that file.file is downloaded successfully.then if i try to open that file using winzip i am getting problem.that is not valid archive?if i try local system its working fine?please give me any suggestion if any one knows?