How to create a DLL library of custom controls to redistribuite them?

Crosta

Hi everyone,
As subject suggests I'm wondering how is it possible to do so in ASP.NET.
The fact is that I'd like to "atomize" an entire series of custom user
controls (.ascx and .ascx.vb) to redistribuite them to friends but without
having to give away my source code. I'd like to have only one clear, solid
dll. Is it possible? Maybe even a similiar way.

Thanks to everyone for the attention.

Craig Deelsnyder

Crosta said:
Hi everyone,
As subject suggests I'm wondering how is it possible to do so in ASP.NET.
The fact is that I'd like to "atomize" an entire series of custom user
controls (.ascx and .ascx.vb) to redistribuite them to friends but without
having to give away my source code. I'd like to have only one clear, solid
dll. Is it possible? Maybe even a similiar way.

Thanks to everyone for the attention.

Ah, you can't do that w/ user controls as they have 'visual parts'.
You'll want to create true custom controls (classes that inherit from
the base web control namespaces), and more than likely they'll have to
be what are called composite controls, controls that are made up of 1 or
more other controls; these are the easiest to do AFA custom controls
(rather than writing render methods, etc.) if the definition of
composite fits what you're modelling (the conversion from a user control
to composite control is usually doable since a user control is a
'collection' of controls itself).

Google for composite controls on the web and see what they're about.
They're not too difficult to pick up, but you'll need to do something to
convert those user controls to pure classes.

And on top of that, you'll have to use an obfuscator to 'hide' your
source code; dlls w/out this can be decompiled. Another term to Google...

Crosta

In data Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:22:20 -0500, Craig Deelsnyder ha scritto:
Ah, you can't do that w/ user controls as they have 'visual parts'.
Damn! I was quite sure...
You'll want to create ....
more than likely ....
composite controls
Ok perfect, I'm Googling right now these ones.
(rather than writing render methods, etc.)

if the definition of
composite fits what you're modelling
Quite yes. Apart from some blocks of javascript code.
And on top of that, you'll have to use an obfuscator
Dotfuscator is good enough? I've not tryed by now this gift-in-the-box.