How to create a form rapidly? (VWD 2005 Express)

kpuchala

Hello

I'm beginnig to create my first application in Visual Web Debeloper
2005 Express.

I need to create a web site (simple application), which will allow to
list objects (records) stored in databese. This is the simple part and
I managed to do this. Further I want to bind the list to a form. After
klicking an object on the list, the form containing defined data occurs
on the screen. Then user can edit the fields ane save data.

I have a problem with creating the form binded to a database in simple
way. Is there any controll, that allow me to do the form rapidly (like
GridView)?

If there is not such controll, please give me an advise how should I
begin to create a form binded to a database or the list of records. How
it should to be done.

Thx

Edwin Knoppert

Dump a grdiview control on the form, add a new SQLDATASOURCE by clicking the
gridview properties.
Then the SQLDATASOURCE will ask for a connection, build...

kpuchala

GridView (or custom made list) will only be a list of records.
Then, I want to choose one from the list and edit it with a form, eg.

field1_name: [ field1 ]
field2_name: [ field1 ]
field3_name: [ field1 ]
field4_name: [ field1 ]

Further, I want to click "Save" and back to the list.

Is there any solution to create a form (not a list or gridview) in a
simple way, some wizzard maby... A form like in MS Access

Thx

Edwin Knoppert

Here comes the complex part:
The detailsview is the table to handle single records.
After messing with this fella i decided to rewrite the select and update
queries.
It looks friendly but i find it not.
I'm still using the gridview+detailsview combination but it's a pain in the
bud for interaction.
The detailsview has properties to connect to another control (or session
etc..).
I choose to do this from code.

The worse thing what can happen is extending the table and then updating the
gridview or detailsview.
Things change and do no longer work and for novice (on this) extremely hard
to discover what happened.
I usually start from scratch and therefore i choose to use additional code.