How to create an dll in VHDL?

ugrumov

How could I create a ".dll" file with VHDL to use it in another
programe (like in a bigger Delphi or C programe)?
Is it possible?

Thanksss!!!!

Mike Treseler

ugrumov said:
How could I create a ".dll" file with VHDL to use it in another
programe (like in a bigger Delphi or C programe)?
Is it possible?

No. The only practical use for vhdl is
logic synthesis and simulation.

-- Mike Treseler

Phil Tomson

No. The only practical use for vhdl is
logic synthesis and simulation.

-- Mike Treseler

Well, it might be possible if he uses GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) because
it's a VHDL frontend for gcc, but it's not likely that he could use it
with a Delphi program.

This page talks about starting a simulation from a C program:
http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl/Starting-a-simulation-from-a-foreign-program.html

BTW: GHDL is working very nicely these days and it even runs on my Mac.
I've been using the latest version (0.16) for the past few weeks and I
haven't run into any problems with it. It's good to have an open-source
VHDL compiler/simulator that actually works.

Phil

Allan Herriman

Well, it might be possible if he uses GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) because
it's a VHDL frontend for gcc, but it's not likely that he could use it
with a Delphi program.

This page talks about starting a simulation from a C program:
http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl/Starting-a-simulation-from-a-foreign-program.html

BTW: GHDL is working very nicely these days and it even runs on my Mac.
I've been using the latest version (0.16) for the past few weeks and I
haven't run into any problems with it. It's good to have an open-source
VHDL compiler/simulator that actually works.

"GHDL implements nearly all of the VHDL87 (common name for IEEE
1076-1987) standard, most features of VHDL93 (aka IEEE 1076-1993) and
the protected types of VHDL00 (aka IEEE 1076a or IEEE 1076-2000)."

Sounds like it still has a long way to go. Is there a clear statement
anywhere of exactly which language features it supports? The online
GHDL guide didn't want to tell me anything concrete.

Thanks,
allan

Phil Tomson

"GHDL implements nearly all of the VHDL87 (common name for IEEE
1076-1987) standard, most features of VHDL93 (aka IEEE 1076-1993) and
the protected types of VHDL00 (aka IEEE 1076a or IEEE 1076-2000)."

Sounds like it still has a long way to go. Is there a clear statement
anywhere of exactly which language features it supports? The online
GHDL guide didn't want to tell me anything concrete.

Yes, it's a bit lacking in docs.

Maybe I'm not doing anything really fancy, but so far it's been working
fine for me. I'm developing a DSP-like design with some fixed-point math
and several lookuptables for things like exp().

The only think I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. If
not, file a bug report. I've got it running on Windows/Cygwin (which took
me a day or two to get it to compile) and MacOSX.

Phil

Allan Herriman

Yes, it's a bit lacking in docs.

Maybe I'm not doing anything really fancy, but so far it's been working
fine for me. I'm developing a DSP-like design with some fixed-point math
and several lookuptables for things like exp().

The only think I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. If
not, file a bug report. I've got it running on Windows/Cygwin (which took
me a day or two to get it to compile) and MacOSX.

I don't have that sort of time to spend. However, could you please
check your version with this file? It is a practical design that I
use for breaking synthesisers. A simulator should have no problem
with it.
http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/fracn20.zip

(If tripod won't let you have it, visit this site first:
http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/
)

There's a testbench in the "version 9" download, also available on
that site.

Regards,
Allan

Phil Tomson

I don't have that sort of time to spend. However, could you please
check your version with this file? It is a practical design that I
use for breaking synthesisers. A simulator should have no problem
with it.
http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/fracn20.zip

(If tripod won't let you have it, visit this site first:
http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/
)

There's a testbench in the "version 9" download, also available on
that site.

compiled and elaborated just fine (including the testbench, after I
initialized a couple of generics). Not sure about the simulation; I
don't have much time to investigate further.

Phil

Allan Herriman

compiled and elaborated just fine (including the testbench, after I
initialized a couple of generics). Not sure about the simulation; I
don't have much time to investigate further.

Thanks Phil. That's good news, particularly considering that Modelsim
versions prior to 5.7b couldn't run the code correctly, and Synopsys
tools still can't compile it.

Regards,
Allan