    Is it possible?

    Thanksss!!!!

    http://www.usenet.com
    ugrumov, Feb 22, 2005

  2. ugrumov wrote:
    > How could I create a ".dll" file with VHDL to use it in another
    > programe (like in a bigger Delphi or C programe)?
    > Is it possible?

    No. The only practical use for vhdl is
    logic synthesis and simulation.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Feb 22, 2005

  3. ugrumov

    Phil Tomson Guest

    Re: How to create an dll in VHDL? (GHDL plug)

    In article <>,
    Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    >ugrumov wrote:
    >> How could I create a ".dll" file with VHDL to use it in another
    >> programe (like in a bigger Delphi or C programe)?
    >> Is it possible?

    >No. The only practical use for vhdl is
    >logic synthesis and simulation.
    >
    > -- Mike Treseler

    Well, it might be possible if he uses GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) because
    it's a VHDL frontend for gcc, but it's not likely that he could use it
    with a Delphi program.

    This page talks about starting a simulation from a C program:
    http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl/Starting-a-simulation-from-a-foreign-program.html

    BTW: GHDL is working very nicely these days and it even runs on my Mac.
    I've been using the latest version (0.16) for the past few weeks and I
    haven't run into any problems with it. It's good to have an open-source
    VHDL compiler/simulator that actually works.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Re: How to create an dll in VHDL? (GHDL plug)

    On 23 Feb 2005 15:39:59 GMT, (Phil Tomson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    >>ugrumov wrote:
    >>> How could I create a ".dll" file with VHDL to use it in another
    >>> programe (like in a bigger Delphi or C programe)?
    >>> Is it possible?

    >>No. The only practical use for vhdl is
    >>logic synthesis and simulation.
    >>
    >> -- Mike Treseler

    >Well, it might be possible if he uses GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) because
    >it's a VHDL frontend for gcc, but it's not likely that he could use it
    >with a Delphi program.
    >
    >This page talks about starting a simulation from a C program:
    >http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl/Starting-a-simulation-from-a-foreign-program.html
    >
    >BTW: GHDL is working very nicely these days and it even runs on my Mac.
    >I've been using the latest version (0.16) for the past few weeks and I
    >haven't run into any problems with it. It's good to have an open-source
    >VHDL compiler/simulator that actually works.

    "GHDL implements nearly all of the VHDL87 (common name for IEEE
    1076-1987) standard, most features of VHDL93 (aka IEEE 1076-1993) and
    the protected types of VHDL00 (aka IEEE 1076a or IEEE 1076-2000)."

    Sounds like it still has a long way to go. Is there a clear statement
    anywhere of exactly which language features it supports? The online
    GHDL guide didn't want to tell me anything concrete.

    Thanks,
    allan
    Allan Herriman, Feb 23, 2005
  5. ugrumov

    Allan Herriman <> wrote:
    >On 23 Feb 2005 15:39:59 GMT, (Phil Tomson) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>No. The only practical use for vhdl is
    >>>logic synthesis and simulation.
    >>>
    >>> -- Mike Treseler

    >>Well, it might be possible if he uses GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) because
    >>it's a VHDL frontend for gcc, but it's not likely that he could use it
    >>with a Delphi program.
    >>
    >>This page talks about starting a simulation from a C program:
    >>http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl/Starting-a-simulation-from-a-foreign-program.html
    >>
    >>BTW: GHDL is working very nicely these days and it even runs on my Mac.
    >>I've been using the latest version (0.16) for the past few weeks and I
    >>haven't run into any problems with it. It's good to have an open-source
    >>VHDL compiler/simulator that actually works.

    >"GHDL implements nearly all of the VHDL87 (common name for IEEE
    >1076-1987) standard, most features of VHDL93 (aka IEEE 1076-1993) and
    >the protected types of VHDL00 (aka IEEE 1076a or IEEE 1076-2000)."
    >
    >Sounds like it still has a long way to go. Is there a clear statement
    >anywhere of exactly which language features it supports? The online
    >GHDL guide didn't want to tell me anything concrete.

    Yes, it's a bit lacking in docs.

    Maybe I'm not doing anything really fancy, but so far it's been working
    fine for me. I'm developing a DSP-like design with some fixed-point math
    and several lookuptables for things like exp().

    The only think I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. If
    not, file a bug report. I've got it running on Windows/Cygwin (which took
    me a day or two to get it to compile) and MacOSX.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Re: How to create an dll in VHDL? (GHDL plug)

    On 23 Feb 2005 17:01:44 GMT, (Phil Tomson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Allan Herriman <> wrote:
    >>On 23 Feb 2005 15:39:59 GMT, (Phil Tomson) wrote:

    >>>Well, it might be possible if he uses GHDL (http://ghdl.free.fr/) because
    >>>it's a VHDL frontend for gcc, but it's not likely that he could use it
    >>>with a Delphi program.
    >>>
    >>>This page talks about starting a simulation from a C program:
    >>>http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl/Starting-a-simulation-from-a-foreign-program.html
    >>>
    >>>BTW: GHDL is working very nicely these days and it even runs on my Mac.
    >>>I've been using the latest version (0.16) for the past few weeks and I
    >>>haven't run into any problems with it. It's good to have an open-source
    >>>VHDL compiler/simulator that actually works.

    >>"GHDL implements nearly all of the VHDL87 (common name for IEEE
    >>1076-1987) standard, most features of VHDL93 (aka IEEE 1076-1993) and
    >>the protected types of VHDL00 (aka IEEE 1076a or IEEE 1076-2000)."
    >>
    >>Sounds like it still has a long way to go. Is there a clear statement
    >>anywhere of exactly which language features it supports? The online
    >>GHDL guide didn't want to tell me anything concrete.
    >>

    >Yes, it's a bit lacking in docs.
    >
    >Maybe I'm not doing anything really fancy, but so far it's been working
    >fine for me. I'm developing a DSP-like design with some fixed-point math
    >and several lookuptables for things like exp().
    >
    >The only think I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. If
    >not, file a bug report. I've got it running on Windows/Cygwin (which took
    >me a day or two to get it to compile) and MacOSX.

    I don't have that sort of time to spend. However, could you please
    check your version with this file? It is a practical design that I
    use for breaking synthesisers. A simulator should have no problem
    with it.
    http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/fracn20.zip

    (If tripod won't let you have it, visit this site first:
    http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/
    )

    There's a testbench in the "version 9" download, also available on
    that site.

    Regards,
    Allan
    Allan Herriman, Feb 23, 2005
  7. ugrumov

    Allan Herriman <> wrote:
    >On 23 Feb 2005 17:01:44 GMT, (Phil Tomson) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>Allan Herriman <> wrote:

    >>>"GHDL implements nearly all of the VHDL87 (common name for IEEE
    >>>1076-1987) standard, most features of VHDL93 (aka IEEE 1076-1993) and
    >>>the protected types of VHDL00 (aka IEEE 1076a or IEEE 1076-2000)."
    >>>
    >>>Sounds like it still has a long way to go. Is there a clear statement
    >>>anywhere of exactly which language features it supports? The online
    >>>GHDL guide didn't want to tell me anything concrete.
    >>>

    >>Yes, it's a bit lacking in docs.
    >>
    >>Maybe I'm not doing anything really fancy, but so far it's been working
    >>fine for me. I'm developing a DSP-like design with some fixed-point math
    >>and several lookuptables for things like exp().
    >>
    >>The only think I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. If
    >>not, file a bug report. I've got it running on Windows/Cygwin (which took
    >>me a day or two to get it to compile) and MacOSX.

    >I don't have that sort of time to spend. However, could you please
    >check your version with this file? It is a practical design that I
    >use for breaking synthesisers. A simulator should have no problem
    >with it.
    >http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/fracn20.zip
    >
    >(If tripod won't let you have it, visit this site first:
    >http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/
    >)
    >
    >There's a testbench in the "version 9" download, also available on
    >that site.

    compiled and elaborated just fine (including the testbench, after I
    initialized a couple of generics). Not sure about the simulation; I
    don't have much time to investigate further.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Re: How to create an dll in VHDL? (GHDL plug)

    On 24 Feb 2005 09:21:36 GMT, (Phil Tomson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Allan Herriman <> wrote:
    >>On 23 Feb 2005 17:01:44 GMT, (Phil Tomson) wrote:

    >>>Yes, it's a bit lacking in docs.
    >>>
    >>>Maybe I'm not doing anything really fancy, but so far it's been working
    >>>fine for me. I'm developing a DSP-like design with some fixed-point math
    >>>and several lookuptables for things like exp().
    >>>
    >>>The only think I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. If
    >>>not, file a bug report. I've got it running on Windows/Cygwin (which took
    >>>me a day or two to get it to compile) and MacOSX.

    >>I don't have that sort of time to spend. However, could you please
    >>check your version with this file? It is a practical design that I
    >>use for breaking synthesisers. A simulator should have no problem
    >>with it.
    >>http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/fracn20.zip
    >>
    >>(If tripod won't let you have it, visit this site first:
    >>http://fractional-divider.tripod.com/
    >>)
    >>
    >>There's a testbench in the "version 9" download, also available on
    >>that site.
    >>

    >compiled and elaborated just fine (including the testbench, after I
    >initialized a couple of generics). Not sure about the simulation; I
    >don't have much time to investigate further.

    Thanks Phil. That's good news, particularly considering that Modelsim
    versions prior to 5.7b couldn't run the code correctly, and Synopsys
    tools still can't compile it.

    Regards,
    Allan
    Allan Herriman, Feb 24, 2005