How to create temp file in memory???

Wenhua Zhao

I have a list of lines. I want to feed these lines into a function.
The input of this function is a file.
I want to creat a temp file on disk, and write the list of lines into
this temp file, then reopen the file and feed it to the function.
Can I create a this temp file on memory???

jepler

Here's how:

1. open your web browser
2. visit the url http://docs.python.org
3. click the link "Library Reference" (keep this under your pillow)
4. scan down the list of modules until you see these two items:
4.6 StringIO -- Read and write strings as files
4.7 cStringIO -- Faster version of StringIO
5. ?????
6. profit

Jeff

Jeremy Jones

Wenhua said:
A.T.T

Thanks a lot.
If you could elaborate a bit more, it might be helpful. I'm guessing
you want something like StringIO or cStringIO.

- jmj

Diez B. Roggisch

Wenhua said:
I have a list of lines. I want to feed these lines into a function.
The input of this function is a file.
I want to creat a temp file on disk, and write the list of lines into
this temp file, then reopen the file and feed it to the function.
Can I create a this temp file on memory???

Yes, the answer has been given to yoou already: (c?)StringIO will help you.

Diez

Jeremy Jones

Wenhua said:
I have a list of lines. I want to feed these lines into a function.
The input of this function is a file.
I want to creat a temp file on disk, and write the list of lines into
this temp file, then reopen the file and feed it to the function.
Can I create a this temp file on memory???

Jeremy Jones wrote:
If the function takes a file object as an argument, you should be able
to use StringIO or cStringIO.

- jmj