    ASP?

    Thanks,
    John

    John Davis, Aug 16, 2003

  2. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    Do you mean to go to "Directory Security" Tab, and click "Edit" button in
    Anonymous access and authentication control? And then check "Basic
    authentication." ?? How about the ASP source code? How to invoke the
    username/password dialog?

    Thanks,
    John

    John Davis, Aug 16, 2003

  3. John Davis

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    yes..... Turn off Anonymous.
    The popup login box is built-in and automatic

    Curt_C [MVP], Aug 16, 2003
  4. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    Thanks, but how to set the username and password. I did that in Anonymous
    User Account, but it seems not working. Also, what is the checkbox "Allow
    IIS to control password" means??

    Please advice, thanks!
    john

    John Davis, Aug 17, 2003
  5. John Davis

    Phrederik Guest

    > John Davis wrote:
    > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    > >> "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    > >> Easiest way is to turn on Windows Authentication in IIS
    > >>

    > > Do you mean to go to "Directory Security" Tab, and click "Edit"
    > > button in Anonymous access and authentication control? And then

    check
    > > "Basic authentication." ??

    > That would do it.
    >
    > > How about the ASP source code? How to
    > > invoke the username/password dialog?

    > Using Windows or Basic authentication there is no need for asp to do
    > anything. IIS takes care of ensuring authentication. Useful if

    your
    > visitors are mapped to user names on the server.

    But I find that this doesn't work with many browsers. Opera 7 just
    reports an unknow authentication error (or something similar). IE on
    my old Mac would prompt for user information, but it could not
    authenticate any user I entered. It all works fine on my XP machine
    with IE6 of course.

    Phrederik, Aug 17, 2003
  6. John Davis

    Paul White Guest

    "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, but how to set the username and password. I did that in Anonymous
    > User Account, but it seems not working. Also, what is the checkbox "Allow
    > IIS to control password" means??

    On your desktop, go to "My Computer",
    right-click and select "Manage",
    then "Local users and groups",
    then "Users", right-click, add new user.

    Paul White, Aug 17, 2003
  7. John Davis

    Matt Guest

    create the username/password authentication dialog problem

    I want to add security in ASP application.
    When the user go to http://localhost/myproject/index.asp, I want it will pop
    up an username/password authentication dialog box.

    Here's the steps I did, but still not working.
    1. In computer management, add an user "admin" that should have permission
    to the page
    2. In IIS console, right click the file index.asp, and click properties >
    File Security > Edit, and click Edit button under Anonymous access, and add
    user "admin" in Anonymous User Account window.
    3. Uncheck Anonymous access check box
    4. Click OK button

    Then it should provide security access to index.asp only, but not other
    files. But still not working either way. Please advise!

    Thanks,
    Matt

    Matt, Mar 4, 2004
  8. John Davis

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Re: create the username/password authentication dialog problem

    You need to:

    a) uncheck the "Allow Anonymous Access" box
    b) check the "Basic" and/or "integrated Windows Authentication" box
    c) change the NTFS permissions to give your user account access
    d) If you are using Internet Explorer -and- Integrated Windows
    Authentication, then http://localhost is in the Intranet zone, and IE will
    automatically logon for you (so you wont' see the logon dialogue box).
    Instead, try http://127.0.0.1 which IE will think is in the Internet zone

    Cheers
    Ken

    :

    Ken Schaefer, Mar 4, 2004
  9. John Davis

    Matt Guest

    Re: create the username/password authentication dialog problem

    Thanks Ken,

    it pops up the logon dialog box when I try 127.0.0.1, but how about the
    domain? How to set the domain? Even I don't type anything in domain, it is
    still able to go to the page? Also, what do you mean "c) change the NTFS
    permissions to give your user account access." I just added the user in
    Anonymous User Account window in IIS console.

    Please advise. Thanks!

    Matt, Mar 4, 2004
  10. John Davis

    Roland Hall Guest

    Re: create the username/password authentication dialog problem

    "Matt" wrote: Thanks Ken,
    : it pops up the logon dialog box when I try 127.0.0.1, but how about the
    : domain? How to set the domain? Even I don't type anything in domain, it is
    : still able to go to the page? Also, what do you mean "c) change the NTFS
    : permissions to give your user account access." I just added the user in
    : Anonymous User Account window in IIS console.

    Matt...

    Disabling the anonymous user setting in IIS requires you to use either Basic
    or integrated Windows Authentication.
    In the NTFS permissions settings at the file system level, on the Security
    tab, add the domain user you want to have rights to login with. If
    domain\user1 has rights, and domain\user2 tries to logon, they will be
    denied. If you want more than one user, it is recommended to either use an
    existing group or create a new one. Add the group to the NTFS permissions
    so if users have to be added, deleted in the future, just add/remove them
    from the group in your domain group. You will not have to revisit the NTFS
    permissions or the IIS settings.

    Setting the user as the anonymous user in IIS defeats the purpose of
    disabling anonymous user access.

    HTH...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Re: create the username/password authentication dialog problem

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > I want to add security in ASP application.
    > When the user go to http://localhost/myproject/index.asp, I want it will

    pop
    > up an username/password authentication dialog box.
    >
    > Here's the steps I did, but still not working.
    > 1. In computer management, add an user "admin" that should have permission
    > to the page
    > 2. In IIS console, right click the file index.asp, and click properties >
    > File Security > Edit, and click Edit button under Anonymous access, and

    add
    > user "admin" in Anonymous User Account window.
    > 3. Uncheck Anonymous access check box
    > 4. Click OK button
    >
    > Then it should provide security access to index.asp only, but not other
    > files. But still not working either way. Please advise!

    See the relevant article(s) for you OS/IIS:
    IIS 5 Documentation
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/
    Microsoft Internet Information Server
    Administration
    Server Administration
    Security
    Authentication
    Access Control

    IIS 6 Documentation
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...r2003/proddocs/standard/gs_authentication.asp

    HOW TO: Configure IIS 5.0 Web Site Authentication in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310344
    HOW TO: Configure User and Group Access on an Intranet in Windows 2000 or
    Windows NT 4.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325358
    HOW TO: Configure IIS Web Site Authentication in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324274

    Make sure you disable simple file sharing in XP

    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Mar 4, 2004
  12. Re: create the username/password authentication dialog problem

    > You need to:
    >
    > a) uncheck the "Allow Anonymous Access" box

    FWIW, I like to say "uncheck the 'Allow Anonymous Access' box AND/OR remove
    IUSR_servername from the NTFS permissions on the content."

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Mar 4, 2004
  13. John Davis

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Re: create the username/password authentication dialog problem

    If you just remove IUSR_<machinename> NTFS permissions, and you do not check
    any of the other authentication mechanisms, you will just generate a HTTP
    error (since the impersonated account can not get access, and you haven't
    specified a method that the server will accept for accepting credentials
    from the browser). By default IWA is also checked, so usually that would
    work.

    That's why I laid out several steps:
    a) uncheck allow anonymous
    b) check one of the *other* authentication mechanisms
    c) adjust NTFS permissions so that the groups that are supposed to have
    access have appropraite NTFS permissions (not just "anyone"

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    : "Ken Schaefer" <> wrote in message
    : news:%...
    : > You need to:
    : >
    : > a) uncheck the "Allow Anonymous Access" box
    :
    : FWIW, I like to say "uncheck the 'Allow Anonymous Access' box AND/OR
    remove
    : IUSR_servername from the NTFS permissions on the content."
    :
    : --
    : Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    : http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running