    px. Is this possible?

    If yes, pls let me know.

    Thanks in advance

    GK, Feb 29, 2008

  2. GK

    Helbrax Guest

    On Feb 29, 11:46 am, GK <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I wish to know , how i can create thumbnails automatically using
    > javascripts. It should reduce the size as well as pixel resolution
    > (ie, a 1 mb image of 1280 x 800 px can be reduced to 20kb of 200 X 200
    > px. Is this possible?
    >
    > If yes, pls let me know.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You can reduce the size that is displayed by the browser, but that
    will not reduce the size of the file on the server. That means if you
    have a 1mb 1280 x 800 image, you can display it to the user as a
    200X200 image, but it will still be a 1mb file that you will have to
    download.

    If you want to truly reduce the filesize and dimensions, you have to
    do it on the server side(code like PHP, perl, ruby, .net etc).

    Helbrax, Feb 29, 2008

  3. Helbrax wrote:
    > On Feb 29, 11:46 am, GK <> wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I wish to know , how i can create thumbnails automatically using
    >> javascripts. It should reduce the size as well as pixel resolution
    >> (ie, a 1 mb image of 1280 x 800 px can be reduced to 20kb of 200 X 200
    >> px. Is this possible?
    >>
    >> If yes, pls let me know.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    > You can reduce the size that is displayed by the browser, but that
    > will not reduce the size of the file on the server. That means if you
    > have a 1mb 1280 x 800 image, you can display it to the user as a
    > 200X200 image, but it will still be a 1mb file that you will have to
    > download.
    >
    > If you want to truly reduce the filesize and dimensions, you have to
    > do it on the server side(code like PHP, perl, ruby, .net etc).

    yes..or simply when you upload the pictures in the first place, make
    thumbnails of them.

    I managed to do on the fly conversions to thumbnails with PHP...if you
    go that route repost te question in comp.lang.php and I will post the
    code up.

    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 1, 2008