how to create VS2008 project and/or deploy WCF service on localhos

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jerry Nettleton, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. I'm using VS2008 to create a WCF service. I created a 'WCF Service
    Application' project and then published it to IIS on localhost. A virtual
    directory was created and when I try to open/browse the "MyService.svc" file,
    I get the following error:

    -----
    Server Error in '/MyService' Application.
    Failed to access IIS metabase.
    -----

    So now I'm reading the 'WCF Services and ASP.NET' page
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa702682(printer).aspx) and I don't
    understand how to create a VS 2008 project in order to implement the "Hosting
    WCF Side-by-Side with ASP.NET" capability. If I try to create a 'asp.net web
    application' or 'asp.net web service application' project, I get another
    error about something not being compatible in my web.config file when trying
    to add the WCF service. How can I create a VS2008 project with ASP.NET pages
    and WCF services?

    Or how can I deploy my WCF service project on my localhost (Win XP Pro SP3
    and IIS 5.1)?

    Thanks,
    Jerry
    Jerry Nettleton, Dec 9, 2008

  2. Found a solution:

    3. Then registered ASP.NET 2.0 with IIS using
    "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –i".

    4. Gave permissions to the ASPNET account using
    "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –ga
    machinename\ASPNET".

    Jerry Nettleton, Dec 9, 2008