    How would I customize the error page then?

    Regards
    DC
    DC, Jan 19, 2007

  2. You should be able to map a custom error page in the web config file and
    filter by error codes. Unfortunately, depending on when the error occurs,
    before it hits the pipeline, it may not be redirected to the error page.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jan 20, 2007

  3. DC

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Alvin Bruney [MVP]" <some guy without an email address> wrote in message

    > You should be able to map a custom error page in the web config file and
    > filter by error codes. Unfortunately, depending on when the error occurs,
    > before it hits the pipeline, it may not be redirected to the error page.

    Yes indeed. This is especially the case for "Page cannot be found" errors,
    particularly when the page in question isn't an aspx...
    Mark Rae, Jan 20, 2007
  4. DC

    DC Guest

    Thank you. Is there no way to get a grip on the "server too busy" page
    or implement a redirect into that page - no matter where in the
    pipeline the error occurs? I mean, is the page hardcoded into a dll?

    I understand that a "service unavailable" message may appear if IIS is
    simply unable to return anything else, but I cannot understand that I
    am forced to possibly return a more complex framework error page
    without any options to customze / hide it. That looks really crappy in
    a professional application.

    DC, Jan 21, 2007

  5. > am forced to possibly return a more complex framework error page

    Not following you. This can be any page, html or aspx. I don't see the
    complexity. If you want to catch IIS you probably need to implement some
    sort of script hooked in to IIS - more work than is justifiable.
    Respectfully, I suggest digging your head in the sand on this one after
    mapping a custom page.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jan 22, 2007
  6. DC

    DC Guest

    By "more complex page" I was only referring to the fact that the
    "server too busy" error page is a typical framework error page, as
    opposed to "service unavailable" which is minimal for a cause. I want
    to present a lean custom page instead and it looks as if I can't.
    Typically one can configure custom error pages like

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors defaultRedirect="GenericError.htm"
    mode="RemoteOnly">
    <error statusCode="500"
    redirect="InternalError.htm"/>
    </customErrors>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    but it looks like there is no way to customize the "server too busy"
    message and I think that's unprofessional. At least I have a hard time
    explaining these error pages to my customer.

    DC, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Oh ok I see what you are saying.
    Run inetmgr from a command prompt, navigate to your root website,
    right-click and select properties. Under the custom error tab, scroll down
    to the 500 HTTP error and double click it. Change it from default to url.
    Enter a valid url pointing to a resource that contains a nice error message.
    Document that change somewhere please so developers have an idea what is
    happening.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jan 23, 2007
  8. DC

    DC Guest

    I did that, actually the "too busy" error should be a 500;13 error.
    Customizing this (and all 500 errors) did not do anything. It looks
    like ASP.Net is outputing the error page and IIS is delivering it with
    no hesitation (and no error code in the HTTP header).

    An additional problem is that I cannot really provoke the 500;13 error
    for testing, although there is an approach here:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/rahulso/archi..._2200_Server-Too-Busy_2200_-Errors_3F00_.aspx

    But that only got me "Service Unavailable" error. I am about to give up
    on the topic, we did not see too many "too busy" errors lately. Maybe
    the only way is to capture the page with a (hardware) proxy and replace
    the Html when there are certain keywords in the page.

    DC, Jan 23, 2007