    but no breakpoints were stopped at.

    Please can someone help. How can we debug classic ASP pages during AJAX
    calls?
    And Wan, Aug 6, 2009

  2. And Wan

    Bob Barrows Guest

    And Wan wrote:
    > I have a legacy classic ASP website with lots of classic AJAX (many
    > ASP files specially made for processing AJAX requests).
    >
    > We are slowly migrating the website to ASP.NET 2.0 and developing
    > under Visual Web Developer 2005/2008. I notice VWD doesn't debug ASP
    > files. Since we are still migrating a very large website, we are
    > mixing ASP.NET code with classic ASP (ASP.NET pages making AJAX calls
    > to classic ASP pages).
    >
    > In Visual Studio 2003.NET it supported full server-side debugging in
    > all ASP pages. Now, how can I debug the AJAX classic ASP pages? I
    > tried running Visual Studio 2003.NET and attaching it as a debugger
    > to Internet Explorer, but no breakpoints were stopped at.
    >
    > Please can someone help. How can we debug classic ASP pages during
    > AJAX calls?

    You might try a vsnet group ...
    --
    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    Bob Barrows, Aug 6, 2009

  3. "And Wan" <> wrote in

    > I have a legacy classic ASP website with lots of classic AJAX (many
    > ASP files specially made for processing AJAX requests).

    Do the ASP pages currently support AJAX, or is this a change? In other
    words, is the need to debug legacy pages that currently work the fact you
    are switching them to be AJAX handlers?

    If so, can the idea. It is a path wrought with many potholes.

    > We are slowly migrating the website to ASP.NET 2.0 and developing
    > under Visual Web Developer 2005/2008. I notice VWD doesn't debug ASP
    > files. Since we are still migrating a very large website, we are
    > mixing ASP.NET code with classic ASP (ASP.NET pages making AJAX calls
    > to classic ASP pages).

    The best method to migrate to ASP.NET is to take a process at a time and
    migrate. I would say page at a time, but ASP processes often span multiple
    pages.

    Take the time to write out the use cases and tackle them one at a time. If
    you have to alter the ASP pages to make things work, you are doing it
    wrong.

    > In Visual Studio 2003.NET it supported full server-side debugging in
    > all ASP pages. Now, how can I debug the AJAX classic ASP pages? I
    > tried running Visual Studio 2003.NET and attaching it as a debugger to
    > Internet Explorer, but no breakpoints were stopped at.

    Not going to happen that way.

    But you can have the ASP.NET site calling a "different" site rahter than
    mixing. The ASP site can then be debugged in the older tools. yes, it is a
    pain, but if you really must have AJAX, then calling the web service/AJAX
    bits on another site is not an issue, as long as you put the call location
    in the config file so you can update it.

    Once again, if you are altering the ASP so it can work with ASP.NET, you
    are taking a hard road that I would not advise.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Aug 7, 2009
  4. And Wan

    bruce barker Guest

    you need vs2008 and sp1. then you attach to the asp worker process
    (enable script debugging).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Aug 9, 2009