How to debug classic ASP pages during AJAX calls in ASP.NET website

And Wan

I have a legacy classic ASP website with lots of classic AJAX (many ASP
files specially made for processing AJAX requests).

We are slowly migrating the website to ASP.NET 2.0 and developing under
Visual Web Developer 2005/2008. I notice VWD doesn't debug ASP files. Since
we are still migrating a very large website, we are mixing ASP.NET code with
classic ASP (ASP.NET pages making AJAX calls to classic ASP pages).

In Visual Studio 2003.NET it supported full server-side debugging in all ASP
pages. Now, how can I debug the AJAX classic ASP pages? I tried running
Visual Studio 2003.NET and attaching it as a debugger to Internet Explorer,
but no breakpoints were stopped at.

Please can someone help. How can we debug classic ASP pages during AJAX
calls?

Bob Barrows

And said:
I have a legacy classic ASP website with lots of classic AJAX (many
ASP files specially made for processing AJAX requests).

We are slowly migrating the website to ASP.NET 2.0 and developing
under Visual Web Developer 2005/2008. I notice VWD doesn't debug ASP
files. Since we are still migrating a very large website, we are
mixing ASP.NET code with classic ASP (ASP.NET pages making AJAX calls
to classic ASP pages).

In Visual Studio 2003.NET it supported full server-side debugging in
all ASP pages. Now, how can I debug the AJAX classic ASP pages? I
tried running Visual Studio 2003.NET and attaching it as a debugger
to Internet Explorer, but no breakpoints were stopped at.

Please can someone help. How can we debug classic ASP pages during
AJAX calls?

You might try a vsnet group ...

Gregory A. Beamer

I have a legacy classic ASP website with lots of classic AJAX (many
ASP files specially made for processing AJAX requests).

Do the ASP pages currently support AJAX, or is this a change? In other
words, is the need to debug legacy pages that currently work the fact you
are switching them to be AJAX handlers?

If so, can the idea. It is a path wrought with many potholes.
We are slowly migrating the website to ASP.NET 2.0 and developing
under Visual Web Developer 2005/2008. I notice VWD doesn't debug ASP
files. Since we are still migrating a very large website, we are
mixing ASP.NET code with classic ASP (ASP.NET pages making AJAX calls
to classic ASP pages).

The best method to migrate to ASP.NET is to take a process at a time and
migrate. I would say page at a time, but ASP processes often span multiple
pages.

Take the time to write out the use cases and tackle them one at a time. If
you have to alter the ASP pages to make things work, you are doing it
wrong.
In Visual Studio 2003.NET it supported full server-side debugging in
all ASP pages. Now, how can I debug the AJAX classic ASP pages? I
tried running Visual Studio 2003.NET and attaching it as a debugger to
Internet Explorer, but no breakpoints were stopped at.

Not going to happen that way.

But you can have the ASP.NET site calling a "different" site rahter than
mixing. The ASP site can then be debugged in the older tools. yes, it is a
pain, but if you really must have AJAX, then calling the web service/AJAX
bits on another site is not an issue, as long as you put the call location
in the config file so you can update it.

Once again, if you are altering the ASP so it can work with ASP.NET, you
are taking a hard road that I would not advise.

bruce barker

you need vs2008 and sp1. then you attach to the asp worker process
(enable script debugging).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)