    quoting the parameters to system? (Docs and previous experience suggest =
    not, but I've been wrong before.)

    - donald

    Ball, Donald A Jr (Library), Nov 12, 2007

  2. Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)

    Alex Shulgin Guest

    On Nov 12, 11:31 pm, "Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)"
    <> wrote:
    > Hi folks. I've got a simple Kernel.system call which is failing:
    >
    > system('svn', 'commit', '-q', '--non-interactive', '--message', 'File updated by dball', 'reports/2007-11-11.txt')
    >
    > with exit code 256. When I run this from the command line, wrapping the final two parameters in double quotes, it runs fine. Any suggestions for what I may be doing wrong or where to look for debugging inspiration?
    >
    > I'm on a win32 box, fwiw, running ruby-1.8.5. Do I need to be manually quoting the parameters to system? (Docs and previous experience suggest not, but I've been wrong before.)

    Try to examine stderr output. Plus try to enclose the parameters with
    spaces in double quotes--it's Windows anyway, so who knows, it might
    work that way. ;-)

    --
    Alex

    Alex Shulgin, Nov 13, 2007

  3. > > I'm on a win32 box, fwiw, running ruby-1.8.5. Do I need to=20
    > be manually=20
    > > quoting the parameters to system? (Docs and previous experience=20
    > > suggest not, but I've been wrong before.)

    >=20
    > Try to examine stderr output. Plus try to enclose the=20
    > parameters with spaces in double quotes--it's Windows anyway,=20
    > so who knows, it might work that way. ;-)

    I've switched to using the single argument version of system doing my
    own quoting of parameters with spaces, and I continue to get a failing
    error code. Here's what I'm doing now:

    system("svn commit --non-interactive --message \"File added by dball\"")

    after changing pwd to the root of the folder in which the svn repository
    is checked out. Stderr reports:

    svn: Commit failed (details follow):
    svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
    svn: Unable to open repository
    'file:///z:/techserv/svn/intranet-files/reports'

    The true svn repository is at file:///z:/techserv/svn/intranet-files,
    while the file I added is in the reports directory.

    I'd submit that this has nothing to do with ruby but for the fact that
    when I run that command string from the win32 command shell, it works as
    expected. I'm pretty much at a loss now, so if anyone has any
    suggestions, no matter how bizarre, I'm all ears.

    - donald

    Ball, Donald A Jr (Library), Nov 13, 2007
  4. Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)

    Alex Shulgin Guest

    On Nov 14, 12:20 am, "Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)"
    <> wrote:

    > I'd submit that this has nothing to do with ruby but for the fact that
    > when I run that command string from the win32 command shell, it works as
    > expected. I'm pretty much at a loss now, so if anyone has any
    > suggestions, no matter how bizarre, I'm all ears.

    Try to check environment variables--do you get the same in
    Kernel#system as when command running from shell?

    --
    Cheers,
    Alex

    Alex Shulgin, Nov 14, 2007