how to debug segmentation faults

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Matt Rossner, Nov 27, 2006.

  1. Matt Rossner

    Matt Rossner Guest

    Hi,

    I am pretty new to Ruby although have a lot of experience in other
    programming languages. I'm working on a project using Ruby and the
    OpenGL extensions that come with it (version 1.8.5). The error is not
    very detailed:

    Vivarium.rb:118: [BUG] Segmentation fault
    ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-mswin32]

    That line is GLUT::MainLoop()

    This doesn't really help as that's essentially the entry point for any
    OpenGL program, meaning the problem could be anywhere.

    What's the best way to debug this to get further information I've tried
    ruby -rdebug but I could get very far with that. I would start trying to
    run/step through the program and get warnings about includes that I'm
    not even directly referencing and can't seem to get to the breakpoint I
    want. I could use some help on that too if anyone is familiar with the
    built in debugger.

    Any help on this would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Matt