how to debug segmentation faults

Matt Rossner

Hi,

I am pretty new to Ruby although have a lot of experience in other
programming languages. I'm working on a project using Ruby and the
OpenGL extensions that come with it (version 1.8.5). The error is not
very detailed:

Vivarium.rb:118: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-mswin32]

That line is GLUT::MainLoop()

This doesn't really help as that's essentially the entry point for any
OpenGL program, meaning the problem could be anywhere.

What's the best way to debug this to get further information I've tried
ruby -rdebug but I could get very far with that. I would start trying to
run/step through the program and get warnings about includes that I'm
not even directly referencing and can't seem to get to the breakpoint I
want. I could use some help on that too if anyone is familiar with the
built in debugger.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt