    the LinqDataSource. In particular is there a way to trace the code executed
    by a component such as the LinqDataSource?

    Thanks
    Thomas H. Lanier, Jul 31, 2007

  2. * Thomas H. Lanier wrote, On 31-7-2007 23:14:
    > I'm trying to learn a little about VS 2008 and ASP.Net.
    >
    > In trying to duplicate some of Scott Guthrie's examples using the new
    > LinqDataSource, I'm getting an error.
    > Input string was not in a correct format.
    > How would one go about debugging errors that occur with components such as
    > the LinqDataSource. In particular is there a way to trace the code executed
    > by a component such as the LinqDataSource?
    >
    > Thanks

    I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of if
    they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint the
    closest you can get to the actual error.

    Maybe it helps.

    Jesse
    Jesse Houwing, Jul 31, 2007

  3. "Jesse Houwing" <> wrote in message

    > I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of if
    > they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint the
    > closest you can get to the actual error.

    Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 31, 2007
  4. * Mark Rae [MVP] wrote, On 1-8-2007 0:51:
    > "Jesse Houwing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of
    >> if they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint
    >> the closest you can get to the actual error.

    > Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

    Are you serious or being sarcatic?

    I was pretty serious. There usually are ways of avoiding the exception
    all together (additional validation, different method overload etc). So
    when an exception is thrown I either document that it gets thrown at
    that codepoint once in a while and haven't found a way to clear them up
    or I solve the issue.

    Ohh and should you not be able to find the 'Exceptions...' menu item in
    the debug menu (it sometimes seems to disappear) you can add it by
    right-clicking the menu, choosing customize and dragging it back into
    the menu.

    Jesse
    Jesse Houwing, Aug 1, 2007
  5. "Jesse Houwing" <> wrote in message

    >>> I usually set Visual Studio to break on all exceptions regardless of if
    >>> they're handled or not. that way you get an automatic breakpoint the
    >>> closest you can get to the actual error.

    >> Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

    > Are you serious or being sarcatic?

    Perfectly serious.

    > I was pretty serious.

    Indeed.

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 1, 2007
  6. * Mark Rae [MVP] wrote, On 1-8-2007 10:43:
    > "Jesse Houwing" <> wrote in message

    >>> Absolutely! Surely every serious developer does that...

    >> Are you serious or being sarcatic?

    > Perfectly serious.
    >
    >> I was pretty serious.

    > Indeed.