How to delete a file from C++ program

Leslaw Bieniasz

Hi,

I am using a temporary binary file which I open and close
by
fstream::eek:pen()
and
fstream::close()
After using the temporary, I would like to delete it from the
disk. Is there any way of doing this from the level of the
C++ program which operates in the console mode under MS Windows?
I mean I don't want to quit the program and use the system commands
manually, and I don't want to use GUI for deleting the file.

L.B.

!!! PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS SINCE January 1st, 2008, INDICATED BELOW !!!
| Dr. Leslaw Bieniasz, |
| Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences,|
| Department of Complex Systems and Chemical |
| Processing of Information |
| ul. Niezapominajek 8, 30-239 Cracow, Poland. |
| tel. (room) +48 (12) 6395212 |
| tel./fax. (secretariat) +48 (12) 4251923 |
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed) |
| Interested in Computational Electrochemistry? |
| Visit my web site: http://www.cyf-kr.edu.pl/~nbbienia |

Matthias Buelow

Leslaw said:
I am using a temporary binary file which I open and close
by
fstream::eek:pen()
and
fstream::close()
After using the temporary, I would like to delete it from the
disk. Is there any way of doing this from the level of the
C++ program which operates in the console mode under MS Windows?
I mean I don't want to quit the program and use the system commands
manually, and I don't want to use GUI for deleting the file.

remove()

There's also tmpfile() for temporary functions, which will take care of
removing the file itself.

Alberto Bignotti

try:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string>

bool file_delete(std::string filename)
{
if( _unlink( filename.c_str() ) != 0)
return false;

return true;

Matthias Buelow

Alberto said:
try:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string>

bool file_delete(std::string filename)
{
if( _unlink( filename.c_str() ) != 0)
return false;

return true;
}

This isn't portable.

Michael DOUBEZ

Leslaw Bieniasz a écrit :
Hi,

I am using a temporary binary file which I open and close
by
fstream::eek:pen()
and
fstream::close()
After using the temporary, I would like to delete it from the
disk. Is there any way of doing this from the level of the
C++ program which operates in the console mode under MS Windows?
I mean I don't want to quit the program and use the system commands
manually, and I don't want to use GUI for deleting the file.

You can use "int remove(const char* filename);" from cstdio.
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdio/remove.html

Michael
!!! PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS SINCE January 1st, 2008, INDICATED BELOW !!!
Long signature
Please disable your signature on usenet.

online_wan

[...]

/* UNLINK.C: This program uses _unlink to delete UNLINK.OBJ. */

#include <stdio.h>

void main( void )
{
if( _unlink( "unlink.obj" ) == -1 )
perror( "Could not delete 'UNLINK.OBJ'" );
else
printf( "Deleted 'UNLINK.OBJ'\n" );
}

=======================
from msdn

Michael DOUBEZ

Fei Rao a ¨¦crit :
Hello Leslaw,

The deletion of a file turns out to use system call such as unlink() and
remove() (on UNIX / Linux). I think it has nothing to do with the
fstream, although there may be some wrappers in C++ libraries.

Note that remove() is standard while unlink() is only POSIX.

Please, don't top-post

Michael

Fei Rao

Hello Leslaw,

The deletion of a file turns out to use system call such as unlink() and
remove() (on UNIX / Linux). I think it has nothing to do with the fstream,
although there may be some wrappers in C++ libraries.

Leslaw Bieniasz

/* UNLINK.C: This program uses _unlink to delete UNLINK.OBJ. */

#include <stdio.h>

void main( void )
{
if( _unlink( "unlink.obj" ) == -1 )
perror( "Could not delete 'UNLINK.OBJ'" );
else
printf( "Deleted 'UNLINK.OBJ'\n" );
}

=======================
from msdn

OK Guys, all your suggestions require mixing of C++ streams
with some stdio.h functions or the like, and such mixing
(if I understand) is generally not recommended. My intention
is to find a solution which involves C++ streams only.
Is this possible?

L.B.

!!! PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS SINCE January 1st, 2008, INDICATED BELOW !!!
| Dr. Leslaw Bieniasz, |
| Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences,|
| Department of Complex Systems and Chemical |
| Processing of Information |
| ul. Niezapominajek 8, 30-239 Cracow, Poland. |
| tel. (room) +48 (12) 6395212 |
| tel./fax. (secretariat) +48 (12) 4251923 |
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed) |
| Interested in Computational Electrochemistry? |
| Visit my web site: http://www.cyf-kr.edu.pl/~nbbienia |

Ian Collins

Leslaw said:
OK Guys, all your suggestions require mixing of C++ streams
with some stdio.h functions or the like, and such mixing
(if I understand) is generally not recommended. My intention
is to find a solution which involves C++ streams only.
Is this possible?
A file is a file, which can be removed. A stream is a means or reading
a files.

What's your problem with using a standard library function for its
intended use?
!!! PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS SINCE January 1st, 2008, INDICATED BELOW !!!

Please do something (like remove) your overly long signature.

Michael DOUBEZ

Leslaw Bieniasz a ¨¦crit :
OK Guys, all your suggestions require mixing of C++ streams
with some stdio.h functions or the like, and such mixing
(if I understand) is generally not recommended. My intention
is to find a solution which involves C++ streams only.
Is this possible?
[snips]

It is not. streams do not care about files, they are a concept.
The fstream lib is only a helper to connect a file sink to a stream.

There is no problem in mixing <fstream> and <cstdio>. They are both part
of the c++ standard so remove() should be fairly portable.

Michael