how to: Deploy a web service

John Spiegel

Hi all,

I'm attempting to deploy a pretty simple web service to a shared web server
that was built w/ Visual Studio. According to MSDN, I should be able to
just copy the asmx and bin folder (w/ contents) and it's ready to go. Of
course, in practice this fails. When attempting to add access it with a
client, I get the error that follows. I found that by manipulating
web.config entries as indicated in the errors it seemed to get somewhat
further but never could make it successfully deploy.

I had the same problem testing deployment to our LAN's server. This went
away when I switched to using VS's Copy Project... option from the menu.

Beyond the principle of I'd like to be able to get it to work, from a
practical standpoint, I can't seem to get VS's Copy Project... to work as I
can't get the path on the file share to work for me.

Does anyone have any guidance as to how to actually deploy to a server over
the Internet via copying files?

TIA,

John

Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Hermit Dave

Well for starters there is no expection info so cant tell whats wrong with
the webservice as such
set the
<customErrors mode="Off" />
in your web.config file.
Then try calling the webservice... you will get a stack and method call
dump. this should tell you where to look next,

Regards,

HD

John Spiegel

Hi Dave,

I had tried to before but had little luck. I came back at it today
and realized that editing the web.config file in the folder where the
web service resided had no effect. I'm still sorting out the where
and what define an application. Once I edited the root's web.config
it allowed me to see problems and eventually got to the test page!

Thanks,

John