How to deploy a website with no Windows Server?

K Viltersten

I just demo'ed a product and the customer likes
it. The only problem is that they won't buy a
license for Win Server/IIS.

What cna i do? They've got WinXP, some basic
version. Can i still get IIS somehow to work?
Other webserver?

Guest

I just demo'ed a product and the customer likes
it. The only problem is that they won't buy a
license for Win Server/IIS.

What cna i do? They've got WinXP, some basic
version. Can i still get IIS somehow to work?
Other webserver?

XP has IIS, but it is recommended to use server version for server
purposes. You can try to run ASP.NET on Mono
http://mono-project.com/ASP.NET

henrik

I just demo'ed a product and the customer likes
it. The only problem is that they won't buy a
license for Win Server/IIS.

What cna i do? They've got WinXP, some basic
version. Can i still get IIS somehow to work?
Other webserver?

it works, but only up to 10 connections. arghhh what you do ? if you
get enough profit from it, host it elsewhere. if they are IT retarded,
they don't have to know it

Fred

in K Viltersten wrote :
I just demo'ed a product and the customer likes
it. The only problem is that they won't buy a
license for Win Server/IIS.

What cna i do? They've got WinXP, some basic
version. Can i still get IIS somehow to work?
Other webserver?

You can use IIS on Windows XP *Pro*
By default limited to 10 requests but you can extend it up to 40 with
the following little vbs script :

Set o = GetObject("IIS://LocalHost/W3SVC/1")
o.MaxConnections = 40
o.SetInfo

I have such an application that works very well in small companies (a
few users but a lot of asynchronous calls to a web service)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> The only problem is that they won't buy a license for Win Server/IIS.

Are you, or they, aware that there's a Web Edition version of Windows Server 2003 ?

List price is only $399, as opposed to over $1,000 for the "Standard"
Windows 2003 Server ( you can probably get it cheaper than that ),
and it doesn't need any Client Access Licenses (CAL) like the Standard Edition does.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricing.mspx

Maybe they can spring for the lousy $400... ;-)

AT PC Universe, you can get it for $387.90 :
http://www.pcuniverse.com/Microsoft...nse-and-media-1-server-/P70-00275/pd/p4164442

Be aware, though, that you cannot install SQL Server on it.
You can, however, install SQL Server Express on it :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/windowsserver/bb430828.aspx

Your cheap client will like that, since SQL Server Express is free ... ;-)

Lots of info on the Web Edition at that last link, btw.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
=========================

Srinidhi

That's an interesting piece of information fred. Thanks for it
I wonder what is that '/1' at the end of the metabase path?
-Srinidhi

Fred

in Srinidhi wrote :
That's an interesting piece of information fred. Thanks for it
I wonder what is that '/1' at the end of the metabase path?

If I remember well, it is the id of the website.
As only one is allowed in XP IIS, it should always be 1