how to deploy .net 2.0 website?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ron, Nov 21, 2007.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Hi all,

    I am new at .net 2.0 deployment so can any one recommend me a good way
    or article to follow?

    What I want to do is

    (1)to deploy the website on the server2003 with IIS6

    (2)we have a website on the web server which is running with .net 1.1
    framework, can I add the new website as sub website or virtual
    directory (running with .net 2.0)within the old web site? so the url
    would looks like "http://old website/new site/default.aspx"

    I tried to set it up like 1.1 but it didn't work. I also tried
    websetup project, didn't work neither.

    Thanks very much!

    Ron

    Ron, Nov 21, 2007

  2. On Nov 21, 9:51 am, Ron <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new at .net 2.0 deployment so can any one recommend me a good way
    > or article to follow?
    >
    > What I want to do is
    >
    > (1)to deploy the website on the server2003 with IIS6
    >
    > (2)we have a website on the web server which is running with .net 1.1
    > framework, can I add the new website as sub website or virtual
    > directory (running with .net 2.0)within the old web site? so the url
    > would looks like "http://oldwebsite/new site/default.aspx"
    >
    > I tried to set it up like 1.1 but it didn't work. I also tried
    > websetup project, didn't work neither.
    >
    > Thanks very much!
    >
    > Ron

    1) create a website on IIS and copy all *.aspx/ascx, web.config and a /
    bin

    http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/iis6/
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=deploy the website on the server2003 with IIS6

    2) In IIS, goto website, choose directory, right click, Properties.
    Create an application in Application Settings area

    In ASP.NET tab change version to 2.0

    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 21, 2007

  3. Ron

    coolCoder Guest

    On Nov 21, 1:51 pm, Ron <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new at .net 2.0 deployment so can any one recommend me a good way
    > or article to follow?
    >
    > What I want to do is
    >
    > (1)to deploy the website on the server2003 with IIS6
    >
    > (2)we have a website on the web server which is running with .net 1.1
    > framework, can I add the new website as sub website or virtual
    > directory (running with .net 2.0)within the old web site? so the url
    > would looks like "http://oldwebsite/new site/default.aspx"
    >
    > I tried to set it up like 1.1 but it didn't work. I also tried
    > websetup project, didn't work neither.
    >
    > Thanks very much!
    >
    > Ron

    Hi Ron,
    You will need to add a "Deployment Project" to your web site solution.
    Then, first of all, publish your website to some local folder other
    than the original folder ( I Guess, it might be under the Inetpub
    folder )
    Once you publish your website, you can browse the folder structure
    there.
    Now create all the folders under the published directory into your
    Deployment projects "File System View".
    Once done with the folders, add your ASPX pages, scripts, CSS and
    ofcourse the dll's to there respective folders, using the add file
    option on the context menu. Please make sure that you copy the config
    and other xml files too. This makes the web site updatable and you can
    change some html content even after deployment.
    Once all the files and folders are in place, you are ready to build
    the executable of the setup. For this, just build the deployment
    project.

    Finally, you will find the setup exe under the Debug / Release folder
    under your deployment projects directory. This debug / release folder,
    depends upon your solutions configurations, whether it is in Debug
    mode or Release mode.

    PS: Also dont forget to add your images, if any, at the proper
    hierarchy, otherwise they wont be available. Also before deploying it,
    please test the executable on some other machine / virtual directory,
    to see whether it is working or not.

    Hope this helps you.

    Thanks,
    coolCoder.

    coolCoder, Nov 21, 2007
  4. Ron

    coolCoder Guest

    On Nov 21, 2:43 pm, coolCoder <>
    wrote:
    > On Nov 21, 1:51 pm, Ron <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all,

    > > I am new at .net 2.0 deployment so can any one recommend me a good way
    > > or article to follow?

    > > What I want to do is

    > > (1)to deploy the website on the server2003 with IIS6

    > > (2)we have a website on the web server which is running with .net 1.1
    > > framework, can I add the new website as sub website or virtual
    > > directory (running with .net 2.0)within the old web site? so the url
    > > would looks like "http://oldwebsite/newsite/default.aspx"

    > > I tried to set it up like 1.1 but it didn't work. I also tried
    > > websetup project, didn't work neither.

    > > Thanks very much!

    > > Ron

    > Hi Ron,
    > You will need to add a "Deployment Project" to your web site solution.
    > Then, first of all, publish your website to some local folder other
    > than the original folder ( I Guess, it might be under the Inetpub
    > folder )
    > Once you publish your website, you can browse the folder structure
    > there.
    > Now create all the folders under the published directory into your
    > Deployment projects "File System View".
    > Once done with the folders, add your ASPX pages, scripts, CSS and
    > ofcourse the dll's to there respective folders, using the add file
    > option on the context menu. Please make sure that you copy the config
    > and other xml files too. This makes the web site updatable and you can
    > change some html content even after deployment.
    > Once all the files and folders are in place, you are ready to build
    > the executable of the setup. For this, just build the deployment
    > project.
    >
    > Finally, you will find the setup exe under the Debug / Release folder
    > under your deployment projects directory. This debug / release folder,
    > depends upon your solutions configurations, whether it is in Debug
    > mode or Release mode.
    >
    > PS: Also dont forget to add your images, if any, at the proper
    > hierarchy, otherwise they wont be available. Also before deploying it,
    > please test the executable on some other machine / virtual directory,
    > to see whether it is working or not.
    >
    > Hope this helps you.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > coolCoder.

    I forgot to add that, if you are trying to deploy web sites with
    different framework versions on same IIS, make sure that there
    application pools are different, other wise it wont work.

    coolCoder, Nov 21, 2007
  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Thanks guys!!

    Ron, Nov 21, 2007
  6. On Nov 22, 2007 1:05 AM, Ron <> wrote:
    > On Nov 21, 8:42 pm, Alexey Smirnov <> wrote:
    > > On Nov 21, 9:51 am, Ron <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hi all,

    > > > I am new at .net 2.0 deployment so can any one recommend me a good way
    > > > or article to follow?

    > > > What I want to do is

    > > > (1)to deploy the website on the server2003 with IIS6

    > > > (2)we have a website on the web server which is running with .net 1.1
    > > > framework, can I add the new website as sub website or virtual
    > > > directory (running with .net 2.0)within the old web site? so the url
    > > > would looks like "http://oldwebsite/newsite/default.aspx"

    > > > I tried to set it up like 1.1 but it didn't work. I also tried
    > > > websetup project, didn't work neither.

    > > > Thanks very much!

    > > > Ron

    > > 1) create a website on IIS and copy all *.aspx/ascx, web.config and a /
    > > bin
    > >
    > > http://www.simongibson.com/intranet...arch?hl=en&q=deploy the website on the server...
    > >
    > > 2) In IIS, goto website, choose directory, right click, Properties.
    > > Create an application in Application Settings area
    > >
    > > In ASP.NET tab change version to 2.0

    > Hey Alexey,
    >
    > Thanks for your information.I tried it but on the asp.net tab the IIS
    > doesn't allow me to change the version. since the whole website is
    > with version 1.1, i am wondering if i can set up a folder running with
    > different version. Any idea?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ron

    You should create an application (Virtual Directory Tab, Application
    Settings)

    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 22, 2007