How to design a cryptographic "check" of a page's integrity using .NET?

Guest

I have an idea for a way to help maintain my websites, and I'm hoping
someone can help me figure out how to implement it using C#, VB.NET, or
elements of the .NET framework. I'd be putting this on ASP.NET pages.

There's always the possibility that webpages can a) get defaced, or b) go
offline for one reason or another.

I was thinking that there's probably some way to generate a unique key based
on the content of a page. My program would validate page integrity by
comparing the generated key to a previously generated value. The easy and
obvious answer would be to do a simple byte count -- and that might be
sufficient. Another easy answer is to do a byte-for-byte comparison of an
older content stream to the new. But just for the sake of my curiousity and
our learning, can someone suggest a way that the content of the page could
be analyzed to generate a unique key?

Are there tools in the .NET framework to do this?

If I were to do this byte-for-byte comparison, is there anything more
advanced in .NETland than [if string x is identical to string Y then return
true]?

Thanks for any suggestions...